Saturday, May 02, 2009

still life

I’m back.

Or at least, I’m present again.

These last 12 days have been a bit of a haze. Stupid deadlines (a 5,000 word article and my quarterly accounting due at the same time, plus a radio show and work as well), a sick partner and of course, you know how this story will end – in bed with a lurgy myself on and off for days. I jettisoned the article, valiantly got my accounts completed and BAS submitted on schedule. I dutifully attended work and other commitments when there was no other choice.

But the best part was submitting. For three days in a row and a number of other times aside, I took to my bed. A cold is just a pesky virus, bronchitis an even peskier complication. Not Swine Flu. Not influenza of any kind but an immune assault mighty enough to knock your socks off none the less.

Giving into a transient illness is something our culture does not encourage. We are told to swallow drugs and soldier on, however in reality all that means is you still feel dreadful and pass the joy onto other people. Despite a few bouts of self pity, once I resigned myself to the inevitable I reveled in the luxury of taking to my bed. With my laptop for company I watched movies, listened to podcast and sucked up far too much dross from the internet. Total submission. Despite feeling crap, it was wonderful

Months ago I bought tickets to see the Laughing Clowns. Their songs had been part of the soundtrack to my late teens and they held an even dearer place in the SE’s heart. Last night going to the gig after dragging myself through a day at work was one of the last things I felt like doing, though I consoled myself with the promise of all Saturday in bed and thought of far worse ways to spend the night. Settled in a comfortable booth at The Forum, while the SE boogied in the mosh pit with similarly aging rockers, I was transported to a time in my past with such a force to be unsettled. An experience that was neither uncomfortable nor cosy, just vivid and unexpected.

Despite a late night I woke up with the birds this morning, under slept but strangely….normal.

To celebrate the return of good health I snuck out to the garden with a delightful cup of coffee, my journal and a cat for company, soaking in the warm autumn light.



Excuse the indulgent ramble, I’ll be back with some food soon.

In the meantime, I encourage you to embrace your day – sick, well, happy, sad, busy, bored or even contented. Just sit with it and be.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Johanna GGG said...

good to hear you are finding time to smell the roses despite busy times and illness - the laughing clowns are a wee bit before my time but I do enjoy some Ed Kuepper

6:13 pm  
Blogger George Biron said...

Monday morning coming down.
will take a day or two to recover
Work rest and Play...
It will take more than a M bar to recover.

5:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

Great blog!

My names Laura and id love to get in contact with you regarding a new Australian Entertainment website. wordonthestreet.com.au focus on unbiased reviews of events, shows, products, restaurants etc

Have a look at what its all about here;www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52099551626&ref=ts

We're currently approaching the bloggers we feel will add the quality and interest we need to the Food & Wine section of wordonthestreet.

If your interested i'd love for your blog to be involved, give me a buzz on laura@wordonthestreet.com.au.

Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you soon!


:) Laura

7:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet