Friday, April 24, 2009

simple #2

It’s raining and windy. Not exactly cold but alluding to a wintry state. The stomach follows, desiring soup.

Food fit for those with a cold, time poor or hankering for warmth*.

Soup: Corn, onion, garlic, ginger, carrots and assorted greens. Simmered til soft in water. Chunks of white fish poached in the soup before serving. Then flavoured with miso and tamari. A few rice noodles to add ballast. Delicate and soothing.

The SE made what I would call a “boy’s soup”. What is it about some men and flavouring? Something akin to colour-blindness. An everything-but-the-kitchen-sink concoction, including Brussels sprouts, with the unusual addition of mixed spice. Don’t try this at home! My failure to appreciate did not bring good humour into the home.

Porridge: Oatmeal, call it what you will. This season’s combo is oats, leftover cooked brown rice if there is any about, and banana. After cooking I’ve added passionfruit, a dash of maple and soymilk.

Omelette: End of the week vegetables sautéed with onion and garlic, beaten egg and a few olives.

One pot or pan. Simple to make. Easy to digest.

Just hold the mixed spice and the sprouts!


* or all three in my case

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ed Charles said...

some. Now. Great to be back with oats and couldn't help but notice an ad on TV last night for Uncle Tobys oats. I can't understand why on earth people buy branded oats.

10:18 am  
Blogger PJ said...

Yum! Thanks for the inspiration - It's mushroom soup for our household tonight.

10:19 am  
Blogger iODyne said...

Cinnamon is great in/on porridge which I love; and

maybe the guy was thinking of the 'nutmeg on sprouts' rule?

George Ohsawa - The Masterof Miso Soup.

10:29 am  
Blogger GS said...

Ah cinnamon! Your comment reminded me to grate nutmeg on my porridge this week. I'd forgotten how much I loved it!

7:27 pm  
Blogger Antoinette said...

Love the sound of that soup. And I have all the ingredients...so off I go.

11:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet