Monday, April 06, 2009

more on gurnard

It appears I am not the only one to sing the praises of gurnard in the past week. Hot on the heels of my last post someone on ABC radio has also spruiked the wonders of this previously underrated fish.

This became apparent when I was lining up at my local fish shop on Saturday morning. This family run business has been supplying the inner-North with quality seafood for over thirty years and their popularity runs to a queue down the street some days.

I was pleased to see some gurnard in the shop window as I took my place in line. The fillets looked fresh and the price moderate. As I inched my way closer I was dismayed to find the tray being emptied but relieved when the person in front of me enquired about more and was happy to wait for some to be filleted. I remarked on its popularity and was informed about someone discussing the wonders of gurnard on (some unknown to me) radio spot that morning.

Hopefully this will not lead to overfishing and an escalation in price. After all, the gurnard and I are only just getting reacquainted.


fresh gurnard fillets in all their glory

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had gurnard sashimi at Shoya the other day, and it was friggin awesome - one of the best on the plate. A highly underrated fish IMO.

5:41 pm  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

I look at those fillets and think
"oh the poor fish".
I have to avert my gaze from supermarket displays of fish/meat.
it's unbearable.
I hate to see food wasted too - it means the poor thing lived and died for nothing.
I wonder if your Japanese commentor above me, does whale recipes?!

Happy Easter Monday - renewal!

6:00 pm  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

Yep. Tennen has linked here.
There is a recipe for

Soup Of The Lettuce,
and a recipe requiring
'the leaf of the mint'.

While I know 2 small children who are Japanese/English bilingual, I do think that learning english from a language with a completely different system of lettering, is a frightening achievement.

sayonara

6:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet