Sunday, May 17, 2009

the joy of eating

Blogging, in particularly for those of us who like to write about food, has become very serious of late. There are conferences, a move for a code of food blogging ethics, much chatter on twitter and the likes. I see them as growing pains, like our clamour to be acknowledged in Melbourne’s own food festival.

But there are only so many hours in the day to indulge in food worshipping. My favourite forms of devotion are my weekly trips to the market to buy organic produce, attempting to cook more consciously rather than going into automatic when bringing food to the table and putting aside an hour or two a week to write about it.

There are other more vital practices in my life – my small business that I crafted 17 years ago and continues to be work in progress, enjoying a partnership, friends, family and social life, crafting words for different purposes and of course, the ongoing devotion of feline creatures. Sometimes the food component of all things joyous in my life feels like it gets a little too much attention.

However – on the subject of the ethics of food blogging, this sums it up perfectly for me.

Now what about the food? How about I do something with these rather homely Yarra Valley apples and pears I bought at the organic market in Healesville yesterday, rather than sit inside tweeting on a sunny autumn day?


Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

Yep - those ethics pretty well sum it up for me too! And I love your comment (and admire your point) about actually going out and buying food rather than tweeting about it!

12:16 pm  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

An apple a day ...
is an excuse to use a lot of cinnamon when cooking one.

Last dessert I got at a friends house apple baked with a mars bar down the cored centre.

Once was enough.

6:44 pm  
Blogger Ran said...

apple and ginger jelly?

apple and pear pie/ crumble?

i think i need to get me to healesville and get some apples!

2:32 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Ran - have been thinking crumble.....

Ann - contemplating a mars bar full stop makes me feel a little queasy.

Rita - thanks :)

5:37 pm  
Blogger Shaheen said...

Succinct and to the point. I completely share your sentiments.

12:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet