Friday, July 04, 2008

The 1 week wheat-free challenge: Day 7

2 x boiled eggs on pretend gluten-free toast.

Pad Thai with prawns (rice noodles, prawns and minimal other ingredients – egg, tofu, veg plus fish sauce and peanuts).

Seared tuna (medium rare) with leftover Sri Lankan curry (a surprisingly good combo).

2 x mandarins.

Dagoba chocolate

Fluids: 1 espresso, 1 brandy and soda, 1 peppermint and liquorice herbal tea, water.

Notes: I’d planned to eat out at my local Thai restaurant for the final night of the challenge but the SE vetoed this due to the amount of leftovers we were accumulating. So the Pad Thai for lunch, not my usual choice, was an attempt to find a half decent Thai meal and choose what I’d usually have.

The GF bread still tasted crap and I struggled to finish an otherwise enjoyable breakfast.

So you want another pussy pic?


So the challenge is over. There were no breaches that I was aware of. Tomorrow I'll post about what I learnt from the experience. Thanks for your support over this week.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Johanna GGG said...

Cute cat and congrats on doing the challenge - was interesting to see what you ate and will look forward to your comments. Dosa and pad thai sounds quite good to me but I am with you on GF bread (although my mum made one once that was lovely)

8:54 am  
Blogger Antoinette said...

You had so much beautiful food this week! I've gotten some great ideas from your menus.

You've been much more organised about it than me. So far, mine has been a dairy and gluten free week, but it's followed my usual pattern of being organised some days, and thoroughly caught out on others.

I know your pain when it comes to the 'pretend bread' situation. I had a semi-meltdown in Wholefoods yesterday morning, standing in front of all the delectable gluten-containing breads, bemoaning the fact that II have to go for the bland, crumbly version instead.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me, but sometimes I just want a great big dirty slab of real bread to sink my fangs into.

8:56 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

ALWAYS love those puss-cat photos.

It's easier than one imagines, I must say, though gluten does seem to hide in many unexpected places.

I've so far found that munching on edamame and popcorn give me the 'crunch' that crackers give; but bread...oh, man, it's hard to replace, isn't it?

I'd rather eat GF cake, I reckon.

Tuna and Sri Lankan curry. Yum-o!

11:01 am  
Blogger Wendy said...

I've been following this with interest and am looking forward to reading your conclusions.
The Sri Lankan curry: have you posted the recipe?

5:11 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Thank you all for your lovely comments.

Johanna: she is very cute when she is asleep but can get very nasty when deposed from what she considers to be 'her' chair/bed/lap etc!

Docwitch: glad the menus were helpful. More on planning tomorrow. I really feel for your loss on the bread department now :( Dosas though should be right up your alley. Let me know if you are in the city for lunch on one of my work days.

Lucy: and plain rice crackers make good GF crunch, though I had remarkably few of them. Popcorn is a great idea :)

Wendy - the SE made that particular curry but it was basically a Sri Lankan curry powder from our local Asian grocery store with some extra dried curry leaves and a little fresh turmeric. Water based, no coconut milk or tomato. I don't know if he used any tamarind.

5:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet