Thursday, March 18, 2010

thinking about how and why we blog about food

The inaugural Australian Food and Drink Bloggers Conference is happening this Sunday. I've been musing quietly to myself on the journey from initial rumbles two or three years ago, about having our own event in conjunction with the annual food and wine festival, to what is happening this weekend.

The good news is it's a fully (yet ethically!) sponsored event so we can sit and chat, be fed and watered at zero cost but the downside is it's a bit like Willy Wonka's golden ticket - places are limited and every seat has been duly balloted and alloted. Unfortunately it's not going to be a forum for inexperienced or want-to-be bloggers, so I wonder just where I'll take my contribution to the panel on How and Why We Blog.

I can only talk from my perspective, blogging for the last five years or so. But I wonder if you are coming (or not and want me to report back here about what I covered) are there any burning questions you wish answered or explored under the scope of the session.

Looking back on some of my high (and low) points of blogging as I have done today, for me it's the interaction with readers and other bloggers through the comments that make blogging worth it. I love the feisty discussions on ethics, as much as the joys of having a reader share their tweaks to the recipes I've posted.

Blogging about food is ultimately a highly sociable forum. Please fell welcome to join in.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Ed Charles said...

It's a shame about the numbers but next year we can go bigger in a similar format I hope. Importantly I hope all of us that attend can get to blog about it so we can pass on the messages to the less experienced. Looking forward to catching up onSunday. It's been ages.

1:13 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Looking forward to catching up with you too Ed. Thankful am doing my bit early in the day so I can chill out and mingle for the rest of it.

...and the cocktails!

2:21 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

I look forward to hearing a variety of perspectives at the conference. I thought it would be interesting to discuss what would be the past alternative to blogging but then wasn't sure what they would be - recipe books, scrapbooks, wine tastings? foodie tours???? Maybe it is more a matter of discussing how it fits in with other social media today

2:22 pm  
Blogger Cindy said...

I'd like to hear people's thoughts about what makes a "successful" blog. I think too often there's a focus on traffic and/or links, when personal development, finding a voice, establishing a niche or (as you mentioned above) engaging in a community can also be very rewarding. Obviously there's no one-fits-all answer.

(Inspired by a thread on Lisa's blog, which was itself inspired by an Amateur Gourmet post. Both worth a read!)

2:24 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

sorry I meant to say what are the advantages of blogs over and current alternatives(bit distracted)

3:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a relatively new blogger I am looking forward to meeting others and hearing people's perspectives on the world of blogging.

For me, I have really enjoyed connecting with people I haven't met and sharing ideas and information.

Emily

5:56 pm  
Blogger Simon Leong said...

i hope you definitely report back on how it goes and what's said. i'd like to know where blogging will be in the future. what's next on the horizon? i think food blogging is relatively new in the world of technology and i wonder how long it will be around until something different comes along. i know some people that used to blog but now just mostly twitter as their form of communication and connecting with the social media community. i'm sure there will be something else that will make the masses of social media devotees embrace and move on again, and again, and again.

12:29 am  
Blogger GS said...

Keep your suggestions coming!

Simon, Ah the future? Hmm, twitter has certainly altered the way/frequency some bloggers post. Buzz and wave weren't even one hit wonders...maybe the new iTablet will encourage a resurgence in blog reading. Who knows. I'm so old fashioned, I think I'll be blogging for a long time yet.

1:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet