Thursday, May 28, 2009

being in the moment

Maybe it was my sister's undoing. She phoned an hour ago as I was contemplating making fish pie for dinner. A few minutes into our chat said, "You sound tired".

Until that moment I'd felt fine, then as if by magic the word inhabited me and I was filled with a gnawing sense of fatigue.

There are numerous incomplete blogposts demanding attention but instead you will get this, a moment of sunshine in the kitchen this morning.



Soup made from a base of last seasons homegrown tomatoes, roasted with garlic then pureed and frozen.
Finely diced carrots, parnsips, some slices of onion and fennel, a can a white beans.
Simple stuff.
A pot of hot soup shared with friends on a dim autumn day.
This is what matters


Taking a moment in a busy morning to snap a few photos.
Watching how a glass of water plays with the light.
Becoming entranced by butter smears on a knife.
Little things that bring a sense of calm and wonder.

These things matter to me more than writing a post about food right now.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ann ODyne said...

hot good soup banishes fatigue.
Crock ON!

7:20 pm  
Blogger Zoe said...

So it's not a cotton bud, then?

*runs away!*

2:35 pm  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Bloody family...

No, you're absolutely right-on. Long posting can wait. A moment in the sun is worth SOOOO much more.

Zoe - you DO crack me up.

2:52 pm  
Blogger Ange said...

Thats funny - i've been craving fish pie lately too & plan on making one next week - hope I dont lose my desire to cook too

6:57 pm  
Blogger Shaheen said...

Time to yourself, the best present ever.

7:21 am  
Blogger GS said...

Zoe - my what big ears you have :)

...and I did make fish pie, consumed at a dinner time rather later than usual but absolutely fabulous. The mash did *not* have a masterchef amount of butter in in, maybe 20 gm per person and a dash of olive oil.
Delish!

10:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet