Saturday, March 31, 2007

pumpkin and chickpea salad

About time for a recipe don’t you think?

Earlier in the week a made a version of Heidi’s wonderful lemon-scented quinoa salad from 101 cookbooks. I love tahini and lemon juice so any dish including those elements is a winner for me.

Last night I used a similar dressing (no olive oil, extra garlic and lemon) for this delightful vegan concoction. It was a winner.

Pumpkin and chickpea salad with tahini dressing

1/2 medium sized pumpkin
1 can organic chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
1 medium sized red onion, finely sliced
a generous handful (or a whole bunch), coriander, ripped or chopped

Cook the pumpkin by your preferred method. I was lazy so I put the oven on high, cut it into a few large chunks and let it bake with no oil for about 30 minutes - til tender without being too soft. Once cool enough to handle, remove skin and cut into bite sized cubes.

Add the remaining ingredients and toss with the dressing below.

Tahini, lemon and garlic dressing

1-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons hot water
pinch of sea salt

Combine in a bowl or jug.

What can I say? It was fabulous! Almost enough to make me want to be a full-time vegan.



Undressed


Not so naked!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Beautiful.

Love chickpeas, pumpkin and tahini together.

8:44 am  
Blogger Truffle said...

I agree, great combination. You're giving me cravings!

3:10 pm  
Blogger Serenity Later said...

i had a go at making this last night after spying it on your blog and i have to say it was the most sublime salad i've ever tasted!

thanks so much for the great recipe, this dish was truly delish!!!!

1:16 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you liked it. Now...I really must go make it again!

8:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right. That's tonight's dinner sorted. I used to make a similar salad but the addition of chickpeas and the tahini dressing sound like a big improvement. Thanks.

11:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet