Friday, March 16, 2007

healing soup

I went to the accupuncturist yesterday. A very softly spoken man who gently punctured my body with fine needles.

"You need building up" he told me. "Try steamed fish and sweet vegetables"

In the fridge I had flathead fillets fresh from the market. They had given me the bones as well for soup. Four pairs of eyes watched me ast I skinned the flesh from the skin and rather vocally requested some tidbits. Life really was so much easier with only one cat!

Flathead 'tails' are really not the best shape for steaming, so despite the 30c evening I made the gentlest and freshest of soups.

Healing soup

First simmer the bones in water to make stock: Really this is very easy, use the head too if you have it, cover with an ample amount of cold water, bring to the boil then simmer for about 15 minutes. Strain to use the stock.

Fish stock
Ginger root, finely sliced
A little garlic, crushed or sliced
1 chilli, finely sliced (go easy, to be medicinal the soup needs not to be "too stimulating"
Fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced (or dried and reconstituted, adding the soaking water to the stock)
Carrots, sliced
Zucchini, sliced
Chinese brocolli, or other dark greens, chopped

Simmer ingredients in stock til tender.

Add:
Small pieces of fish
Some fresh corriander, roughly chopped

Cook for another 3-5 minutes til fish just cooked.

Then add a dash or 2 of fish sauce to season.


The stock was rich and full of goodness. I slightly under cooked the vegetables, due to the weather, dubbing it "salad soup". It was delcious and I certainly hope had built some inner resources for the days ahead.

Variations: The Significant Eater added more chilli and some fresh lime to his.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger paul kennedy said...

Delicious. (They recommend congee for healing as well, but I have it when I'm not sick.)

5:36 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Yes I have been thinking of congee too. I think a visit to the supper inn is in order. Though the SE talks of making brown rice congee at home, though goodness knows how many days that will take to cook!

5:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet