Thursday, March 29, 2007

Autumn

The temperature is dropping and along with it comes a host of possibilities.

I used to feel a little bit of melancholy as the summer gave way to autumn. I’d grieve the passing of the stone fruits, juicy cheap mangoes, Asian salads with crispy greens and fragrant herbs. This year our drought-frizzled city is sighing at a sprinkling of rain and nights cool enough for delicious sleep, snuggled under the doona. Cooler season food is hardly a punishment. Slower cooked food with deeper flavour, the earthy comfort of hot potatoes and stewed rhubarb for breakfast!

This morning at the market the hardier, leafy greens and the sturdier fruits spoke to me. In the basket came home these possibilities.

A cabbage and potatoes to make colcannon.

Silverbeet with onion, garlic and lemon.

Stewed apples with sultanas and cinnamon.

Pears poached in port.



What food’s speaking to you in your neighbourhood at the moment?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger GS said...

Columbus - the upside is that its always coctail hour, somewhere in the world :)

1:45 pm  
Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

Autumn means my favourite Golden Delicious apples.
Developed by Nathanial Vick in Harcourt 120 years ago.

and it is time to plant leeks.

11:10 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Brownie - leeks sound like a good idea. I refuse to pay $2 for a single organic leek - which is what is being asked for them at the moment!

7:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was completely fed up with apples by the end of last winter, but now I find myself craving them again.

I've also been feeling the call of beetroot recently. It's beautiful at the moment - juicy, compact bulbs with stacks of flavour. It's still a little bit exy in my local shops, but it makes me think of trays of roasted winter root vegetables.

While I hate to see the end of summer, I'm always comforted by the new produce that becomes available

12:06 pm  
Blogger Melly` said...

I am enjoying ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM OUR GARDEN. And becoming obsessive about it.. thinking I would rather be home watching the garden than wherever I am during the day! I find eating our tomatoes and capsicums.. (and yes sometimes I gotta cut the bugs out.. cause I wont use pesticide)just wonderful.

And lettuces are back at $4 at the supermarket.. so chewing off mine in the garden... just feels wonderful.

8:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet