Friday, February 13, 2009

blogging while the state continues to burn

Life carries on as usual for those of us not in the front line. While there is the usual round of eating, sleeping (kind of), work and even catching up with friends – I have a new companion, ABC radio, the official emergency broadcaster.

This morning the sunrise was the kind of deep orange that I associate with a smoggy LA sunset. A super-real shade that would be pretty if it didn’t forebode the presence of smoke and as the saying goes, where there is smoke there is fire. This time the flames are licking the edges oft Healesville, the town that hosts my favourite winter retreat hotel. They’ve been on alert for days, the locals must be exhausted remaining vigilant for embers night and day.

With life going on as usual, the monster tomato plants (survivors of too many days in the mid 40’s Celsius) are ripening more fruit that I can use. Of course, the SE - the tomato lover, is away. A bowlful of tomatoes a day, not enough to bottle though a round of oven drying is a possibility depending on how hot the weekend is. But it is a nice feeling to give away more produce than I can eat.

I feel uncomfortable blogging while the state burns, people die and lives are devastated. I can find little joy in food right now, so will just leave you with a picture of tomatoes in the smoky morning light.



Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY pleased to hear about your friend bein' okay, I was.

You better make some tomato jelly with those beautiful beasties or I'm coming over to nick 'em, darls.

Can't bring self to blog (or really engage with food) either. The sun today is finally reflecting what's going on out there.

10:17 am  
Blogger Ed Charles said...

Same here and I'd planned something nasty about Valentines. I'm addicted to the ABC too and its updates on twitter.

11:48 am  
Blogger Ran said...

i think the sun smoke is also smoke from backburning they are doing before the weather hots up again. i could smell it in bed this morning go figure.

the tomatoes look great though. i am hoping i get enough to bottle too

i can just eat them on their own though

1:27 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Glad to know I am not alone in this malaise about blogging.

Tomato jelly/kanten...hmmmm....any ideas on recipes (put the tomatoes through a juicer then simmer the juices with...some kind of flavours...?).

I hate valentines day at the best of times but felt a little sorry for my florist (a one woman business). She's not ordering much in this year as is expecting that the cost of lavish bouquets will be donated to the bush fire appeal...and she doesn't mind one bit. I wonder if restaurants are going to be hit too? I'm a bit cynical, a week is a long time for some people and no one's really mentioned donating their friday night beer money to the cause?

2:19 pm  
Blogger Em said...

Your NSW follower is wishing you lovely Melbournians all the best xxx. Enjoy the toms, they look great, it would be a shame to waste them to guilt...

4:07 pm  
Blogger Antoinette said...

Those toms are real beauties.

Know what you mean about blogging, I was just banging on about that myself. And what a relief that your friend is safe.

Wasn't the light today eerie? A constant reminder of everything being Not Well. And I can taste the smoke. There were ashes in and on our letterbox the other day. We're in the inner north ffs.

Thanks for your message which I got this evening. I shall give you a call and update you on things.

12:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right-o. I would blitz them in a blender until smooth, line a colander with either muslin or a 'chux' cloth, pour in the blitzed toms and let them drip, drip, drip over a bowl. You should get clear tomato juice.

It's sooooooooooooooo good.

8:45 am  
Blogger shula said...

It's like looking at the world through the world through rose-coloured glasses.

Except, of course that they're actually fire-coloured...

11:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

We like your blog a lot and would love if you could drop us a line at

editor@ieatidrinkiwork.com.au

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

12:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet