Saturday, December 08, 2007

ice-cream that even a fruitarian could eat

Is it really 2 months since I bought Jill Dupleix’s ”Lighten Up”? Barely a day has gone by without thinking about her “Mock Choc ice-cream" and with a few ripe bananas patiently waiting in the freezer I don’t know what I was waiting for. The recipe I refer to is a creamy, sugar-free, frozen concoction made from bananas, cocoa powder and dark chocolate. Instead I took the idea and ran with it, as I always do. With so much fresh fruit in the house the thought of making ‘ice-cream’ without a machine and using no dairy on a hot day was irresistible. I admit to being just a little sceptical as to just how creamy the result would be.

“I can’t believe it’s not ice-cream”
(Serves 4, unless you want to keep it all for yourself)

3 bananas – peeled, chopped and frozen overnight
1.5 large mangoes
1 ripe wipe peach (it was begging to be used, another 1 would have been even better)
a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice

Blend all ingredients in a food processor til smooth. Pour into a container and freeze for at least 3 hours. Remove from freezer 10-15 before serving.

Verdict: yum! Of course I could have used 2 or mangoes or all white peaches if I'd had more. The lime gave the flavours a slight lift. Dupleix does a raspberry version too. Obviously most soft fruits would go well.

Enhancements: a splash of Grand Marnier when serving gives the mango an extra kick.

Variations: any leftovers make a great base for a smoothie.



sure an ice-cream scoop would have made for finer food styling - but it's just lucky I scraped enough of the leftovers out to take a pic before I scoffed it!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Fantastic! I have been meaning to try a banana-based dairy-free ice-cream this summer. I wonder whether I will get it past chronic banana-hater Michael...

2:10 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Made it, loved it.

Will make again. And again.

3:07 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Next time chocolate...or raspberries...or raspberry chocolate!!

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So creamy. Thanks so much for the recipe.

9:00 am  
Anonymous Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) said...

I will definitely try this when I have some leftover mangoes. Which is possibly never but still... it looks awesome! :)

9:37 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Kat, yes the concept of "spare" mangoes in this part of Australia is rather unlikely. But at least cheap mango season is almost upon us again.

7:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet