Saturday, December 08, 2007

ice-cream that even a fruitarian could eat

Is it really 2 months since I bought Jill Dupleix’s ”Lighten Up”? Barely a day has gone by without thinking about her “Mock Choc ice-cream" and with a few ripe bananas patiently waiting in the freezer I don’t know what I was waiting for. The recipe I refer to is a creamy, sugar-free, frozen concoction made from bananas, cocoa powder and dark chocolate. Instead I took the idea and ran with it, as I always do. With so much fresh fruit in the house the thought of making ‘ice-cream’ without a machine and using no dairy on a hot day was irresistible. I admit to being just a little sceptical as to just how creamy the result would be.

“I can’t believe it’s not ice-cream”
(Serves 4, unless you want to keep it all for yourself)

3 bananas – peeled, chopped and frozen overnight
1.5 large mangoes
1 ripe wipe peach (it was begging to be used, another 1 would have been even better)
a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice

Blend all ingredients in a food processor til smooth. Pour into a container and freeze for at least 3 hours. Remove from freezer 10-15 before serving.

Verdict: yum! Of course I could have used 2 or mangoes or all white peaches if I'd had more. The lime gave the flavours a slight lift. Dupleix does a raspberry version too. Obviously most soft fruits would go well.

Enhancements: a splash of Grand Marnier when serving gives the mango an extra kick.

Variations: any leftovers make a great base for a smoothie.



sure an ice-cream scoop would have made for finer food styling - but it's just lucky I scraped enough of the leftovers out to take a pic before I scoffed it!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Cindy said...

Fantastic! I have been meaning to try a banana-based dairy-free ice-cream this summer. I wonder whether I will get it past chronic banana-hater Michael...

2:10 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Made it, loved it.

Will make again. And again.

3:07 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Next time chocolate...or raspberries...or raspberry chocolate!!

7:01 pm  
Anonymous Jane said...

So creamy. Thanks so much for the recipe.

9:00 am  
Anonymous Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) said...

I will definitely try this when I have some leftover mangoes. Which is possibly never but still... it looks awesome! :)

9:37 pm  
Blogger Another Outspoken Female said...

Kat, yes the concept of "spare" mangoes in this part of Australia is rather unlikely. But at least cheap mango season is almost upon us again.

7:14 am  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet