Sunday, September 10, 2006

Lessons from the Detox

Easing in and out of the detox gently worked very well and the fruit fast weekend was much easier this way. After 10 days I have succumbed to 1 glass of champagne, to celebrate a joyous event and gone out for breakfast. I will keep eating whole grain/legume based meals as the major part of my diet for the near future. When coffee will return is undecided, but I get an inkling that it will be in the near future.

I have enjoyed reacquainting myself with quinoa and tempeh. As I play with them more I’ll post some recipes as they develop. It has also been a good excuse to pull out the healthiest cookbooks on the shelf: Dr Gillian McKeith, The Golden Door and recipes from a macrobiotic workshop weekend.

What I missed most wasn’t the food or drink but the rituals around them. It can be quite lonely studiously making your own breakfast, lunch and dinner – every day. There is so much more to food than actually eating.

I do feel bright eyed and bushy tailed, despite the glass of bubbly. My head is clear and my skin is radiant. My jeans fit looser and there’s barely a “muffin top” happening anymore!

Some things to keep in mind:

Drink lots of pure water – aim for 3 litres a day.

Even a 1 cup of caffeine a day habit will give you a withdrawal headache!

Buy organic. What’s the point of getting the toxins out if you are chucking back in all the agricultural poisons?

Plan your meals as much as possible. Shop ahead so the ingredients are at hand so you can’t wimp out.

Find a stretch of 10 days with no big commitments during the time to tease/deprive you.

Enjoy each mouthful.

…at the end of the day it’s only food.

"Any fool can fast, but it takes a wise man to break it” George Bernard Shaw




What are your detox tips?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

ah Kiwifruit.
I first saw it at a buffet party in Albert Park about 1982.
I ate a lot of it.
TOTAL ALLERGIC REACTION.
I remember that it tasted lovely though.
Detox tip? The water - the key is drinking lotsa water. Good onya.

9:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet