Wednesday, April 21, 2010

waving not drowning and a few green chillies

April has been a bit of a daze, crammed full of visitors and a trip across the Tasman. In that time the only new taste experience to cross my palate has been some excellent smoked mackerel courtesy of a Wellington supermarket, conveniently located across the road from the doctor’s surgery that my parents seem to spend so much time visiting.

I’m ready for something new and exciting on my plate but first there’s work to catch up on, domestics to attend to and other mundane but necessary things to complete, like doing GST and other tax related chores.

I have fresh green and red chillies I’m looking for ways to preserve. The green in particular are enticing me this year – the flavour is rounded yet there is still a punch in the heat. Ideas anyone?

And what to plant for winter? I just have a few square metres of space. Will dig in some organic manure on the weekend and get a few bales of pea straw in readiness. I’m thinking parsley, lettuce (cos and rocket?), spring onions…what do you reckon?

Thanks for dropping by, am looking forward to returning to the kitchen soon.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

When my cabbage seedlings are a bit further along, would you like some? I've got biodynamic red and biodynamic savoy growing nicely. But they're a wee bit tiny to transplant yet.

Parsley - oh, yes! - and rocket. Rocket by the bucketload, please.

8:38 am  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

Mackerel has very high omega-3 and I eat it a lot, ate it last night, mixed into brown rice and covered in lemon juice.
This is how a lazy cook stays alive.

9:07 am  
Blogger Zoe said...

kale! And mizuna!

3:21 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Lucy a definite yes to the cabbage seedlings - thanks.
And Zoe, love your suggestions. They'd certainly make a nice change from silverbeet and rocket.

Ann - I miss the wonderful smoked fish you can get in NZ. The mackerel was hot smoked with manuka...from a supermarket...*sigh*

7:29 am  
Blogger steph said...

I dry my chillis, and then depending on what I'm using them for might rehydrate them using hot water, or by soaking them in soy sauce for a bit and then throwing the whole combination in.

12:48 pm  
Blogger Kale for Sale said...

You may have already preserved the peppers but in the event you come across some more, I freeze them. Jalapenos, serranos, cayennes, thai peppers. I pull them one or two at a time from the freezer and spice a pot of beans, some soup, heat them with preserved tomatoes for a wintery salsa. It's so easy I was convinced it wouldn't work. Until I did it.

4:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet