Thursday, April 08, 2010

from the garden: a simple chickpea and silverbeet curry recipe

Home late, craving good honest vegetables. I’d had the foresight to soak some chickpeas overnight and cook them before leaving for work. Why does such a simple act make me feel disproportionately virtuous? Really it’s no effort at all and the legumes cooked in 40 minutes, easy.

This easy combo hit the spot, with a nice rounded, spiciness thanks to the homegrown chilli.

Simple chickpea and silverbeet curry recipe

(quantities are flexible, just make sure there is enough liquid)
Vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 fresh green chilli, finely sliced
a small knob fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and ground
2 tsp coriander seeds, roasted and ground
2 cups cooked chickpeas
a big bunch of silverbeet (aka Swiss chard), washed, spines removed and roughly chopped
4 big tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can crushed tomatoes)*
1 cup vegetable stock
salt, to taste

Sauté onion in ample vegetable oil (I used coconut) over low heat til translucent. Add the spices and stir for a couple of minutes. Toss in the chickpeas. Add silverbeet a handful at a time til wilted. Throw in the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a simmer, stirring every now and then. Cook for about 30 minutes.

Serve with your favourite rice.


* I've made a similar version substituting tomatoes with tamarind water.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

What a lovely sounding dish - and perfect for the cooler weather. I would never have thought of using silverbeet!!

10:11 am  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

I have a lovely rustic image of you coming home and picking vegetables from the garden for this soup - sounds good for the soul - but I admire you for getting the chickpea soaking organised - something I never manage

12:20 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Johanna - I kick myself every time I open a can of beans. Albeit organic but they still have that briny taste no matter how long I rinse them. Home cooked beans just taste so much better. Did a big batch of chickpeas and froze some. There is only a lone silverbeet and the chilli shrub in the garden at the moment. Need to clean out last seasons tomatoes, trim the grapevine, add some manure to the soil and replant a few things for winter. You'd think I'd find the time for that?!

Lisa - silverbeet grows so easy and when its from your garden you feel compelled to eat it!

12:37 pm  
Blogger Ange said...

Sounds delicious though who had 40 minutes before work to cook chickpeas, you must be a morning person. Me, as I'm not working at the moment I do have all the time in the morning to do as I please (kids being kind that is), this morning I made some lovely grape calzones using the last of the grapes out the back - yum

7:11 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Ange - I've been sprung, a morning-ish kind of person (no matter how spectacular dawn is, I don't really want to see it!). I give myself an hour and a half between getting up and leaving for work, brain fully engaged by then, organised and ready for almost anything. Your lucky having some grapes left, ours finished about a month ago.

8:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet