Thursday, March 19, 2009

the gag reflex

Have I mentioned that I loathe peas?

I can do raw ones, plucked fresh from the shell and eaten idly. Snow peas are fine, especially in a stir fry. But cook the garden-variety, green orbs and I will do my best to avoid them.

So I found myself picking out every, single one of them in a “healthy” vegetarian friend rice. This establishment is one of my lunchtime last resorts. I detest food halls and most of the food cooked in them. But this one makes orders from scratch, uses no MSG and declares the nutrient content on a large board.

But they don’t usually add peas.

When one accidentally found its way to my mouth, I did my best not to re-enact a scene from Eataholics. First the mushy texture, then the awful flavour and there goes my gag reflex. I can swallow them whole if I have to but bite into them and I am gone.



Kind of spoilt my lunch really.

Do you have any noteworthy food aversions?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Nola said...

Brussel sprouts. I can't do it. And I've tried so hard. Even tomato sauce can't hide the taste. A shame, they're so nutritious.

10:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swede, especially mashed, and rollmops, ewwww.

11:28 pm  
Blogger J said...

I think I'm one of the only people in America that does not like strawberries. Or anything strawberry flavored. Actually, I have an aversion to most fruit, but can at least tolerate others if necessary. Not strawberries. I love peas though. :)

5:12 am  
Blogger Antoinette said...

Beer and butter are my lifelong aversions. My gag reflex is particularly strong around beer. The very smell of it gets me going.

I can have butter if it's cooked up in something, but as a spread or melted on food, I'll be running for the toilet and get the urge to drink vinegar and lemon juice to de-grease my palate and get rid of the smell. Revolting.

Lately, (past few years) I've also developed a strong aversion to icecream. Yes, I know I'm a sad freak.

9:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Docwitch, it's peanut butter. Not so much the 'natural' stuff that gets squished out of a machine before your eyes (though that too is repulsive the more I think about it) but well-known brands...just thinking about the smell...

11:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops - sorry Docwitch. I have projected my hatred of the peanut so much that I have inadvertantly prefaced your butter with its evil-nuttiness.

Just me then.

11:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pumpkin. Get it within a foot of my mouth and I gag, I won't have anything remotely related (scones etc).

My sister also hates peas, which left my meat-and-three-veg-cooking mum with very few options in the 80's.

12:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The smell of popcorn machines in cinemas.

6:26 pm  
Blogger GS said...

How delightful it is to find I am not the only freak in town :)

8:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet