Thursday, October 16, 2008

muffin time

I’d forgotten how easy it is to make muffins. A bowl of wet ingredients, another of dry – mix together and bake.

Simple.

I almost followed a recipe, just improvised a little along the way.

Of course when I compare what I made to the original – the methodology is the same, the ingredients improvised and quantities are a little fuzzy. Strangely, at the time I was making the muffins I was sure I was following it to the T.

So I’ll make it easy. If you haven’t got your own favourite banana muffin recipe, then follow Catherine’s. I figure that if over 250 people have commented on it, the majority having happily used the recipe themselves, you couldn’t go wrong.

But if you want to walk on the wild side, then follow my version.

Banana muffins with cherries, walnuts and nutmeg

Turn the oven onto 175 c

Wet ingredients

30 g melted butter
1/3 cup (or more) maple syrup
2 large ripe bananas, mashed (more if you’ve got them)
1 egg, lightly beaten

Combine the above ingredients, letting the melted butter cool down before mixing it with the beaten egg.

Dry ingredients

A large handful of dried cherries (I found some in the pantry clean out and thought – why not?)
A large handful of walnuts
1.5 cups of flour – I used a mixture of 3/4 wholemeal and 1/4 rice flour (why? Because they were there)
1 level tsp bicarb soda/baking soda
1 level tsp baking powder
Scant 1/2 tsp sea salt
A generous pinch freshly ground nutmeg (it was about 1/4 of a small nutmeg)

Chop the dried fruit and nuts. Combine the flours and other powdery things in a bowl. Toss the fruit and nuts through it til they are coated in flour.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir, just a little, don’t over work it.

Spoon into greased muffin tins.

Cook for 20 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.



YUM!

UPDATE: Have made a few tweaks and this version of the cherry muffins is even better!

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Antoinette said...

Scrumptious! We're a bit muffin mad in this household, (mainly because it's the child's favourite thing to bake). That recipe looks particularly good with the maple syrup in there.
Will give it a go.

10:54 am  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

yum - I have dreamt of banana and dried cherries together in cakes but just not getting enough baking done lately to try it - glad you recommend it

1:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I reckon dried cherries are the hard-to-get must-have of the Australian baking blogosphere. Cindy/Michael, Johanna, and now you! YUM!

10:39 pm  
Blogger GS said...

I have to mention, like Catherine (the source of the now barely recognisable original banana muffin recipe) said - they taste better the next day. Very moist even with my meagre 2 blackened bananas. The dried cherries plump up more overnight too.

I want more! The last one is waiting for me, with an espresso, as an incentive to do some other writing, right now. But alas no ripe bananas to plunder.

Duncan, shopping at Vic market is a treasure trove. I picked up the dried cherries at Nut Trek (in the deli hall) months ago, not quite knowing what to do with them. They now have packets of organic dried cherries which I'll try next time.

Happy baking all!

8:54 am  
Blogger Rita said...

bInspired by your post, and having 4 rapidly blackening bananas to use, we too baked your muffins yesterday, and put our own spin on them, adding a few choc chips. You're absolutely right - they DO taste better next day. Such a treat for morning tea at work, plus I dropped some off to my new-mum-of-twins, sweet-toothed daughter. She really appreciated the little home-cooked delights!
Thanks AOF!

4:17 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Thanks Rita - I was thinking about dark chocolate and banana, am sure they tasted wonderful.

Looking forward to making my next batch!

4:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody great.

Only thing I did differently was to sub in macadamia oil. Loved 'em.

All gone now though, which is a bit of a shame.

11:41 am  
Blogger Kyla said...

thanks for the inspiration! I made muffins just now based off your recipe. but I subbed in some homemade jarred cherries that I randomly found at a bar last year.
then I added some walnuts and dried mango bits. roommate claims they are delicious! I will have one for breakfast tomorrow and only then will I know the true validity of her assessment.

8:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet