Sunday, September 21, 2008

what I'm lichen at equinox time



Happy equinox. In this part of the world it is now officially spring. And how do I know? I had to slap on some sun block today, noticing my skin was going pink after a delicious hour of reading in the garden. The wind chime is tinkling in the breeze and there is dry cider and rose´ chilling in anticipation in the fridge – yes the weather has turned the corner at last.

Yesterday I blew some cobwebs out of my head with a spontaneous trip to Hanging Rock, sans picnic unfortunately but a delightful afternoon out taking photographs and soaking up the eerie vibes.

While I may be taking snaps of nature, there is still not enough light for dinnertime photography. I’ve been enjoying making more curries with Sri Lankan spices. The one below does not attest to any authenticity, just combining what was at hand. It was perfect for an early spring supper. The visual images I will have to leave to your imagination.

Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry with Sri Lankan Spices

coconut oil
2 heaped teaspoons Sri Lankan curry powder
2-3 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 red chilli, finely diced
6 curry leaves
1 onion, diced
a wedge of pumpkin (cubed)
4-5 tomatoes, skinned and diced
1/2 cup of water (as needed)
silverbeet/chard/spinach – a big handful, chopped
cooked chickpeas 1-2 cups
fresh coriander
salt

Heat the coconut oil in a heavy based pot over a medium flame. If you haven’t got coconut just use a bland vegetable oil. Add your spices (curry powder, ginger, chilli, curry leaves) and stir for a few minutes until the aromas are released. Add the onion and stir some more.

When the onion is translucent throw in the cubed pumpkin, once coated with the spices add the tomatoes. If your tomatoes aren’t very juicy add enough water to just cover the vegetables. Cover with a lid and turn the heat to low. Stir every now and then. After about 15 minutes the pumpkin will soften, then add the silverbeet or spinach. Stir. Add more water if it looks like it is drying out. After 5-10 minutes add the cooked chickpeas and coriander. Combine the ingredients well. Add salt as required. Heat the chickpeas through and serve with basmati rice and pickles.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Johanna GGG said...

happy equinox - a timely reminder - and hanging rock is an appropriately eerie place for it - glad you got some sunny photos - it seemed all rain and gloom in Melbourne yesterday - but today the washing is drying on the line, the cat is sunworshipping and we have been eating salad sandwiches outside - lovely!

2:55 pm  
Blogger Antoinette said...

Happy Equinox! That curry looks divine.

Also, I have just passed along a wee award to ye me darlin'.

12:28 am  
Blogger Cindy said...

Miraaaaaaandaaaah!

I like the look of your curry but will have bookmark it for later - I'm currently suffering from chickpea fatigue. Who knew such a thing existed? :-)

10:25 am  
Blogger GS said...

Cindy - I know, I've never been able to visit there without doing a heart wrenching "miraaaaaaaaanda" or three, even though the story is a pure piece of fiction.

Doc Witch - thank you! I'll get my head around the honour of passing it on later.

Johanna - ah salads and sunshine, I love it. The cats though have retired to the bed indoors once more alas.

10:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet