Sunday, June 29, 2008

synchronicity

I love it when great minds think a like. Just as I challenged a local reviewer to consider a week of eating as a vegan, London food critic Jay Rayner has done exactly that. His piece about the experience gave me some of the best laughs I have had today.

Rayner's standpoint can be best summarized as:

I also don't believe you can be genuinely happy and vegan. I think the two are mutually exclusive. The thing is, Morris dancing and incest aside, it's hard to criticise something unless you've tried it. My week as a vegan will add substance to my argument. These are the sacrifices I am willing to make for the moral low ground.



Thanks Wendy for getting me on the hunt for this article.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Glad it gave you a laugh. :)
It was the quote from Anthony Bourdain that I liked, calling vegans the 'paramilitary wing of the vegetarian movement'.

7:38 pm  
Blogger GS said...

I loved that too! And thing is, some really are :)

7:42 pm  
Blogger Zoe said...

ooh! You watching "Medical Mavericks" on the ABC right now? Doctors experimenting with their diet.

9:07 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Zoe, alas no I wasn't. We have been enjoying not having a tv for a while now. If try to hunt down info about the show on the net. Was it any good?

7:33 am  
Blogger Zoe said...

It was very interesting, although I missed the beginning and the host was grating a little by the end. It was the third episode "Diet and Disease" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/medical-mavericks.shtml

4:25 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

thanks AOF (and Wendy) for pointing out a very interesting piece - I did want to point out to him that to go cold turkey is definitely not the way to go vegan and he did seem very focused on fake meat which I don't think is so necessary a part of the diet

8:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet