Monday, June 16, 2008

When life gives you lemons, make…

I love lemons for their tangy-sweetness and they way they cut through sugar and fat. For once there is an abundance of the glorious fruit in my life. First, working my way through the delectable Meyer lemons from Lucy’s abundant tree (which tasted best squeezed into a glass of sparkling mineral water) and now a whole boxful smuggled across the border from the SE’s uncle.



Other than lemonade, there are whole heap of other goodies I have planned for the latest haul:

Preserved Lemons – I’ll learn from past lessons and just do a small batch. I got sick of the never-ending jar a made a couple of years ago.

The preserved lemons would be perfect for this healthy Lentil Salad and coriander.

This Spiced Lemon Pickle recipe looks interesting. I much prefer tang of a pickle to a chutney.

On the weekend the Kent Hotel had whole baby snapper with lemon and thyme on the specials menu. It was a standout meal – with some fries and very generous salad. I think the odd lemon in the stash could be used to revive the dish very much like the one I’ve made previously.

The same uncle also bought a whole box of oranges from his tree as well. They are really too sweet for marmalade but with some of the lemon it could be interesting.

Have you got any favourite dairy free citrus recipes?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger din said...

My favourite non-diary orange cake has to be the Elizabeth David flourless almond and orange cake; I'm also very fond of a desert with peeled sliced oranges simmered in a spiced red wine (think mulled wine spicing) though haven't made it for years. Also home cured salmon or gravlax is a fine way of enjoying lots of fresh citrus juice.

10:28 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Great ideas Din.

7:34 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am a sucker for lemons!

9:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great ideas!

9:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet