Monday, June 12, 2006

indulgent medicine

Stat Counter is working again* and I think I am not going to get any worse, health wise, so after a day in bed will attempt to face the world again. I seem to have been getting a rise in hits from Canada – so hello to all in the true North of America. Especially the hapless googler with this request:

www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=food recipes for very bad sore throats%3F&meta=

From my experiential research yesterday I recommend:

Lemon and honey

Take the juice of 1/2 a large, or 1 small, lemon
1-3 teaspoons of honey

Mix with boiling water and stir. Sip slowly under the covers with an obliging feline for company. Food podcasts or a good book optional.

The Full Monty

Not for the faint hearted – this takes the classic lemon and honey drink to a whole new medicinal level.

Lemon juice
Honey
Grated root ginger
Fresh chili
1-2 cloves of crushed garlic.

Combine the ingredients with boiling water. Sip while in the bath or in a warm bed. Classic texts suggest you should have a “hot brick” at your feet, but a hot water bottle or heat bag is a good substitute. The herbs will cause sweating, aiding the body to get rid of toxins.

The combo doesn’t taste as bad as it sounds. Quantities are up to the tolerance of your taste buds.


I was also served a lovingly made soup that contained: Garlic, ginger, onion, turnips, sweet potato, potato, parsnips, chicory, broccoli, carrot, eggplant and a few fresh tomatoes (and perhaps more vegetables that I have now forgotten). Cooked in the pressure cooker with some vegetable stock.

I spent the rest of the day on the couch going through my archive of recipes clipped from magazines or copied by hand over the years. It included the remains of an exercise book, cover long since disintegrated, started almost 20 years ago. It contained tried and true recipes that I then made regularly or concocted by various housemates, as well as dishes I dreamt of making. There was a great cake that had come from the newspaper with the notation “replaced rum with brandy, raspberry for apricot jam – tasted great” scribbled in my handwriting on the side. Instantly I was flooded with memories of a celebration long past.

There was also Betty’s spinach roulade, made for me in my dairy eating days in London, by a sadly now deceased friend of my father’s. It brought back memories of staying with a kind, but very proper couple in their town and country homes. My favourite food experience with the pair was on the drive to their place in Suffolk stopping for lunch en route. Betty, in true ex airhostess style, produced three lovingly prepared, individualised trays worthy of a first class meal on a plane. Each compartment contained an appropriate entrée and main, with a cheese course to follow. Her husband offered half bottles of red or white wine. For an Antipodean used to staying in hostels and eating on the cheap, memories of this lunch on the road will always bring a smile to my face.

It is amazing what just a single recipe can conjour.

I can see many happy meals ahead.



* comments still much appreciated

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger joe cupcake said...

hey it's good to see someone else making crazy concoctions. i love making the garlic, ginger, chilli lemon combo. sometimes if people can't get it down i think it's because they're thinking of it as tea so i add a dash of soy and tell them it's broth. works everytime.

and yes, even blogging in the dark with no comments you still exist. at least i hope so because i have that fear too.

4:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet