Sunday, June 27, 2010

sunshine and soup

It's been an unexpectedly roller coaster-ish kind of week. There was an impromptu lunch at the pub with a glass of bubbly to toast a landmark moment in Australian politics, a last minute dinner with an old friend visiting from interstate and emergency coffee and popcorn making for a friend and her family going through a tough time. The winter solstice had encouraged me to hibernate while the Significant Eater was away but the universe seemed to have other ideas.

The weather has been bone chillingly damp and on Thursday I wasn't sure what excited me more, a new Prime Minister who reflects my demographic or the fact the sun shone long enough to get two loads of washing dried on the line.

Today the light returned, briefly. I donned my sunnies and checked out the Farmers' Market at the Showgrounds. A bit sparse at this time of year but between the two organic stores I managed to stock up on some extra fruit and vegetables. The cavalo nero looked stunning and was robust enough to survive a morning in the car while I wandered around the North Melbourne market full of lovely handmade goods. I loved the venue, the Lithuanian Club in Errol Street, so was pleased to have an excuse to explore some of the spaces in the building.

Home again, I was determined to do a little cooking before I ran out of steam. I got the rhubarb simmering on the stove and had another tweak at the cordial recipe (this time rhubarb, lemon and rose water) and a go at Jeroxie's nettle and mushroom soup. We've managed to weed the nettles in the garden to a manageable patch this year and I'm determined to trim back the tops to use while they are still young and tender. I've added freshly ground nutmeg and lashings of pepper and the soup smells wonderful. Can't wait for dinnertime.






Hope you got some time to play in the sun today too.

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Zoe said...

What a lovely post! We got out in the sun today too, little boys on bikes and a soccer ball and two very fast dogs at the park.

This has been the most beautiful, beautiful winter

8:24 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

don't we appreciate a bit of sun and outside time in winter? we haven't had enough time outside this weekend and I am not finding enough time to visit farmer's markets this year but love hearing about your visits! and hurrah for a female PM!

9:38 pm  
Anonymous penny aka jeroxie said...

Aw cool! I wish I had nettles growing in my yard too. Possible?

10:22 am  
Blogger GS said...

Thanks for stopping by.

Zoe - even when you have -4c in the morning in Canberra you find it beautiful? LOL

Johanna - I find most Melbourne farmers' markets over priced and a tad disappointing but had undershopped this week and needed a few extras. It could be good if there is more produce in summer/autumn?

Jeroxie - you are top of the list for any excess nettles this year.

11:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post AOF, had me missing ol Melbs!
Had me some great times at the Litho club over the years skolling 'White Eye' and suffering over the nesxt few days!
We've had some stunning winter days here but sadly very little rain but my old man reckons its been pissing down in Melb.

3:21 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Steve Melbourne's been dribbling like an old man's prostate. The odd spurt but more damp, cold and drizzle. Hence the great excitement when the washing got dry.

The Litho club has a great room upstairs looking down on Errol Street with a 70's chandelier (wood and frosted glass). I fell in love with the space and wanted to move in!

Let us know when you are visiting Melbourne next and I can assemble the fan club :)

3:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI AOF-nice segue from weather to prostate BTW! Also giggled at your 'Gratuitous Pussy Shot' on Eds site!
I've been upstairs, or should I say I've been 'told' I've been upstairs with a few Litho mates-incredible that Tas had such a huge influx of middle euro's for the Hydro yet the cultural landscape here is barren yet for a few tokens?
Tasmnania is very White Bread on so may levels.
(Hope I don't get blacklisted for saying this?!)

9:55 pm  
Blogger Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

What a great post! Sunshine makes me so happy - I just wish there was more of it at this time of year!!

8:27 am  
Blogger GS said...

oLisa - every summer, when I get to the point that I am over feeling hot and sticky I deliberately store the memory. On bloody cold icky days like today I pull them out to remind myself that each season has its swings and roundabouts and that it will get (unbearably) hot again one day.

Steve, you're just saying how it is. Small populations tend to be monocultural. More swings and roundabouts! (there were probably those too upstairs at the club!)

8:53 am  
Blogger GS said...

Note to self: Reckon the sorrel growing in my neighbour's front garden would go well in the soup too.

(and she happens to be away for a month :)

2:47 pm  
Anonymous Sarah @ For the Love of Food said...

Sounds like the kind of day I love, a bit of shopping, a bit of cooking and maybe a little bit of gardening - all in the winter sunshine. Thanks for sharing.

3:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet