Thursday, June 17, 2010

more white flour and sugar than you can poke a stick at

In the spirit of Smiley Face Thursday (ok, I made that up)...


Cake shop, Katoomba, NSW

An old fashioned bakery fills my heart with nostalgia but fortunately I'm happy to just eat these with my eyes. I loved looking at the spread but the only treat that lures me in is a decent apple turnover (sans cream) or even better with "mock cream". Crisp pastry, gooey chunks of apple and a side serve of nostalgia.

The winter solstice is almost upon us. Then sun will return, the mornings will warm up eventually but for now I'm happy with soup, woolen blankets and snuggles with a happy cat.

Oh and looking smiley faces on bakery treats!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi AOF-thank you for your kind thoughts-just letting the blof lie fallow for a while & see what sprouts.
As to the old fashioned bakery, I love them too, cept I friggin hate Neenish tarts, the colours look like someone's tried to crochet a biscuit!

2:36 pm  
Anonymous Megan said...

Oh! Those are the most adorable smiley cupcakes ever. They even brought a smile to my face.

10:31 pm  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

cupcakes and pink icing tap into something primordial in our brains.
even some weddings these days have cupcakes as 'The Cake".
Another blogger alerted me to some regional award-winning vanilla slices this week. Being in the vicinity of Thwaites Bakery of Colac (way up the far west edge of the shopping strip) I felt obliged to force myself to seek it out.
There was much less sugar in them than one usually finds, and I think that is the main reason it was so yummy.

10:35 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Well, in that spirit, all I will add is this - :-))))

10:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet