Thursday, October 23, 2008

dolmades and wine

At this time of year I am getting to watch the grapevine grow before my eyes.

Last year with the extreme cut back, for the garden makeover, we didn't know if the 50-plus years old vine would survive the drought. It flourished but there were no grapes. The previous year it had been laden, so much fruit it was hard to pick it all before the birds got them.

With even less than usual rain this winter, I wasn't too hopeful about the state of the grapevine. I never water it. I figure its roots must be pretty deep by now. But it is a tough country to be a plant in at the moment.

Two weeks ago, I took a shot of the first leaves.



This morning the same leaves looked like this.



Abundance, half a dozen bunches have sprung up since I last blinked.



I see dolmades, in the next month before the leaves toughen under the summer sun. Anyone want to join me in November for an inner city afternoon of blanching and rolling and cooking? It is an activity best shared with wine and laughter.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

too far! But what a beautiful idea

4:53 pm  
Blogger Antoinette said...

How exciting! Look at that! That pruning may well have given your vine a new lease of life it wasn't expecting in its dotage. And now it's repaying you with what looks like a promise of obscene amounts of grapes.

I would love to join you in your dolmade-making adventures!

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in, too. Love me some dolmade-making.

I love Docwitch's idea of obscene amounts of grapes - fabulous!

1:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny - I saw a woman poaching a neighbour's vine leaves in Brunswick today. She had quite a bunch!

8:48 pm  
Blogger Maria Verivaki said...

wow, ours are just dying away while yours are springing into life

4:40 am  
Blogger GS said...

Kiwi...and somewhere in the world it is always cocktail hour :)

Duncan there is a lovely movement in LA called "fallen fruit" (I might have posted about it here or elsewhere a few years ago). I like the idea of living food in public spaces being used :)

Zoe - maybe next time!

DW and Lucy - you are on. As you are both familiar with the tiny dimensions of my kitchen three could indeed be the perfect number for this venture.

8:56 am  
Blogger Ran said...

when i was a child growing up in sydney we didnt have a vine and so the entire arab community used to go and poach a vine that had grown crazy and over a backyard fence. I cant see how the owners didnt know as there used to be up to 10 people at a time there and arabs are a noisy bunch!

im rooting a cutting i smuggled from sydney from my uncle. it is shooting and i am so excited - hopefully will have some next year to eat!

2:09 pm  
Blogger Christina said...

Oh lovely. I wish you were just a hop-and-a-skip away so I could roll dolmades with you!

11:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet