Wednesday, October 22, 2008

bachelorette eating

I shudder a little writing the “B” word in the title. It’s an Americanism that doesn’t relate to my single days at all. But I can think of no nifty phrase that immediately captures being home alone and cooking just for myself.

There is going to be quite a few solo dinners over the next month or two. The Significant Eater is in studio lockdown finishing his Fine Arts degree, then off to New York for a study tour. I know, nice for some!

Last night I got a taste of what it will be like coming home alone for dinner. Not an entirely empty house as there is always a bevy of hungry, affectionate cats to greet me.

When just whipping something up for dinner for myself, I steer towards one pot, pan or dish, wonders. A simple meal, no side dishes, quickly created. So last night it was a return to an old favourite, a Spanish omelette topped with fresh asparagus. While the evening before, cooking for two, was a Sri Lankan style vegetable curry, with basmati rice, achard and mango pickles. Spot the difference?

Summer solo eating, apart from the aforementioned tortilla espanol, means salads with a can of tuna, salmon or a premade veggie burger or slab of marinated tofu. Even with a bit of blanching of asparagus or beans it still only takes 5-10 minutes to prepare.

But considering I have at least a month of this coming my way – what do you like to cook up, just for yourself? I did it for years but I’ve become out of practice.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Johanna GGG said...

this is a time to think through what the SE doesn't like - eating solo is my opportunity to have miso soups and lots of salads - but I agree the less dishes the better!

12:41 pm  
Blogger Wendy said...

Mushrooms, blue cheese, fish - all the things D doesn't like. I also eat lighter when he's not around.

I'm the opposite of Johanna and you though, I like to make several small (sometimes elaborate) dishes. Perhaps because no-one is waiting?

6:28 pm  
Blogger Antoinette said...

I too often go for egg dishes (the omelette thing or scrambled) because the Bloke detests eggs, and they're quick to whip up. Also antipasto dishes.
But what I really love is an entire avocado to myself...hehee...all mine.
Bloke's out tonight in fact. Excuse me while I go and eat his share of the choc.

10:33 pm  
Blogger GS said...

I'll have to think about what the SE doesn't eat. He is such an omnivore. I know he cooks meat when I'm away though! Neither of us do dairy and believe it or not, he eats more salads than I do.

I'm concerned that I eat less vegetables when he's not around. Now that is a shocking thought!

I'm remembering that I used to experiment when I was living on my own. Play with flavours, take more risks and explore new things.

Already I am tending to eat a main meal for lunch when I am at work (like the Sri Lankan combo meals at Shenies Curries) and eat a smaller dinner. Downsizing portions is an upside of eating on my own. And LESS chocolate too - I've turned him into such a chocolate fiend!

I guess its all swings and roundabouts.

Must admit am missing company over the dinner table already though :(

9:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet