Saturday, September 13, 2008

the non-detox weekend continues

Strangely since I hopped off the plane at dinnertime on Thursday night the only foods I have truly craved are green vegetables. That may be a sad indictment of how my family eat in New Zealand. Sure, we always had “meat and three veg” but one of them was inevitably potato so that leaves only two of the coloured variety. These days I aim for more than five.

Coming home to a nearly empty fridge and the SE who was keen to eat out after being left to his own devices for the best part of a week, I negotiated that the restaurant of choice be my favourite local Asian eatery. I knew that I wanted the least glamorous dish on the menu – a simple tofu and vegetable stir fry. Admittedly I couldn’t resist a serve of steamed prawn dim sum as well but it was the pak choy and other greens that I was making a beeline for.

Last night, determined to whip up a quick meal from next to nothing before airport trip number two (it will be three in four days between us, oh the carbon guilt!), I harvested a large head of broccoli from the garden (she says casually), broke it into florets, blanched them and tossed the mass of greens in the wok with some onion, garlic, ginger and tofu. It was such a simple meal, finished with rice noodles, roasted sesame oil and fish sauce. It made my heart sing to eat this huge bowl of goodness that had largely come from my own tiny garden plot.


actually this is the next cruciferous cab off the rank, the one we ate was almost twice the size

At the market this morning I couldn’t resist a loaf of roasted garlic bread (I think it is made by Noisette in Port Melbourne). It’s round flat style screamed, “toast me and dip me into egg”.



Once home and ready for brunch it didn’t take long to assemble toast, a poached egg and the clincher – more greens – this time some baby silverbeet leaves from the garden, wilted with olive oil and zataar. It was perfect. Getting the samurai sudoku out was an added bonus.


…and I must say considering presentation isn’t my forté it tasted as good as it looked, though on second thoughts the unintentional nipple effect on the egg was due to a delicious, caramelised garlic from the toast finding itself a new home

While chocolate still holds a certain appeal, it is seasonal vegetables that call my name right now. Maybe the ghost of the detox lurks after all?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Johanna GGG said...

I think spring brings on the need for green veg - last night we had asparagus, peas and broccoli with avocado sauce and I loved all the green - but I am envious of your harvesting broccoli and other greens from your garden

11:30 am  
Blogger Wendy said...

Very envious of your broccoli. The caterpillers got mine this year.
And that loaf sounds divine. I could hear it screaming for egg too.

5:32 pm  
Blogger Zoe said...

I liked the rude egg ;)

9:23 pm  
Blogger stickyfingers said...

Eating home grown is so rewarding! Funny how season's change your palate. All sounds delish!

That's definitely a Noisette loaf. One of my favourites, besides who can resist the flavour of roasted garlic...mmm? Introduced PG & Furry to it too one wintry night.

I think it may have also been the loaf that Phillipe Mouchel bought when he stopped by Noisette yesterday. God I love that place! I was up to my neck in an incredible layered sweet concoction, nursing a coffee and a book at the end of the day, when I spied he and Madame Mouchel.

12:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet