Monday, June 16, 2008

the meatless blog meet

I’ve been fortunate to have broken bread with a few local food bloggers of late. What is not to like in a fellow home cook who feels passionate about legumes and other such wondrous things? Over summer Ed from Tomato and I had planned to arrange a North of the Yarra meet up, you know something simple like a picnic in the gardens. We blinked and now it is winter so there is a slight revision of plans.

With a bit of a genius twist on a debate Ed’s had about “foodies” (or rather “anti-foodies”) we’ve have devised a simple plan to catch up in a venue that epitomises the opposite of food snobbery. No chefs table here, nor fine wines or wagyu – this is the Meatless Blog Meet.

Date: Saturday 26th July
Time: 12.30
Place: Lentil as Anythings @ The Convent, Abbotsford and afterwards at Handsome Steve’s House of Refreshment.

For those unfamiliar with Lentil as Anything it is a unique not for profit community restaurant, where customers pay what they feel the food is worth. It is funny watching people come to grips with the concept the first time around, actually it shouldn’t be humorous to watch patrons become distressed at not being told what to pay – but it is. What is more, LAA supports refugees, new migrants, people with disabilities and the like with its non-discriminatory employment at its five sites.

Oh and it is also vegetarian.

So if you are free for some very pleasing food on the 26th of next month, or thinking of catching the Slow Food Market in July then let us know to keep an eye for you. If you are running late or just want a coffee, juice or beer - catch up around the corner and upstairs at Handsome Steve’s House of Refreshment, an equally quirky Convent establishment. Steve writes “You won't find eggs, 'cooked to your liking', skinny lattes, wraps, low fat muffins or light beer. It's S for Salt, F for Fat, S for Sugar, C for Caffeine and A for Alcohol. Now these foundation stones come in different shapes and sizes and may have never met, but they'll make you'll feel a lot happier than having a yo-yo biscuit for a friend.”.

All welcome (carnivores, partners, small creatures – or not, as you desire).

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when you say "all" is that a literal "all"? I'm a Melbourne blogger (http//thekitchenplayground.com) who has just recently discovered your blog (so this is my first comment here. I'm usually at the slow food farmers market and love lentil as anything. I could be tempted to stick my head in the door if my Ankle BIters aren't being feral and I'm not overcome with shy.
If that's what you're into ; )

5:43 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Nice to see your blog dani and thanks for dropping by. You are most welcome and little critters (they are of course the food critics and writers of the future!) too if they won't put the more sensitive big creatures off their meal.

5:51 pm  
Blogger Lidia said...

It sounds amazing, I would certainly be there but unfortunately I'm in Darwin, dammit!!

8:37 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Buttons - I just posted on your blog at the same time as you did on mine. Freaky! Let me know about the vegan cheese :) Sorry you will be away but at least you will be somewhere delightfully warm!

I know vego/vegan blog meets are rare - but maybe we will change all that?

8:44 pm  
Blogger Polyxena said...

Lentil as anything is somewhere the Librarian and the kitchen blog hangs out as we are a north of the Yarra blog and love walking to the convent. What's the plan? How will we know each other? Bloggers are introverts often ;>)

9:05 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Polyxena I am loving that this meet up has been posted only a few hours ago but already has introduced me to a couple of blogs that are new to me. Will we have to wear a flower in our hair to be noticed? Am not sure as yet - will talk to Ed about this and keep you posted closer to the time.

9:15 pm  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds like you guys will be having a lot of fun. I was interested in the restaurant, as Salt Lake also has a "pay what you think it's worth" kind of place called One World Cafe. It's on my list of "must go" restaurants at the moment.

1:43 am  
Blogger GS said...

Kalyn - it is not "fine dinning" but I've enjoyed every mouthful that I have eaten there. Have you got any trips planned to this part of the world in the near future?

7:33 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Will be there with bells on.

Not literally, of course. Looking forward to it!

8:20 am  
Blogger Ed Charles said...

Looking forward to it and will be there with a baby carrot on the lapel. I've always enjoyed eating at Lentil, the only distraction being the frequent chipped plate. Did you know there are about six lentil projects now?

9:06 am  
Blogger Lidia said...

Haha what a coinkydink! Yes I will definitely enjoy the sunshine, but the lack of vegan treats and eats up there will leave me longing for a veggie meet, so we must plan another one when I get back! So many possibilities!

The vegan cheese is from either the "Hellenic Deli" or "Jim's Deli" at QV market, in the deli section. It is called "Kolios Nitismos Fasting Cheese" and is actually weirdly oil based!!! Probably why it melts so well!!

5:15 pm  
Blogger Polyxena said...

OK - carrot on the lapel for recognition. That leads to a few issues. Will I have lapel? Sounds very formal ;>) How will I attach? what will I attach? I will think of something. So CARROT is the identifier?

8:18 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

Will come along - great meeting place - always love any excuse to get me to the slow food market, love the convent buildings, and also love the tyranny of choice of a veg cafe.

10:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count EG and I in. We'll be the ones with two envirobags full of produce ;-)

9:33 am  
Blogger Lidia said...

...soooo it turns out I'm in Darwin from the 27th of July! So yes, yes I will definitely be in attendance, very pleased I get both Lentil As Anything in good bloggy company AND some sunshine the next day!!

Thankyou for organising!

7:34 pm  
Blogger Melba said...

hey aof, i'll come, it's in the diary. do we need to book? it'll be me, and maybe my daughter. she's well behaved and a good eater.

thanks for mentioning it over at mine.

x

3:27 pm  
Blogger Anna said...

I'll do my best to get there, but I have no idea what I'll be doing that far into the future. But, fingers crossed I can go, and see y'all there!

9:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this'll be the first bloggers' meet where we don't bring the food? How unsettling;)

10:30 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Hey Duncan - I think it might put a few people at ease. It takes the competitive element out and gives us more time to just catch up :)

8:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough:)

8:47 pm  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gosh I hope you don't think I'm a food snob 'cos I like the word foodie. I'm as happy with a bowl of lentils as foie gras or a vegemite sandwich. Bit far for me to travel. We need more food bloggers in Queensland.

11:11 am  
Blogger GS said...

Hey Barbara, Ed has a thing about the word foodie, I don't feel quite as strong as he does.

Hope this inspires you to get some fellow Brisvegas bloggers together.

1:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet