Tuesday, May 15, 2007

the archiving dilema

In 'Epicure' today, Stephanie Alexander makes reference to all her boxes of recipes. Boxes! Now that’s an idea. Currently I have old hand written recipe books in various states of disrepair (most without covers), cut/ripped out pieces from magazines and newspapers, hand scrawled notes on backs of envelopes and other scraps of paper and digitalised recipes. By digital I mean, scattered throughout various hard drives (3, one of which is in a shed and will never see the light of day again) word documents, pdfs, lists of links, scans and photos. The most effective source to date is the blog, I can't count the times I have searched it for something I have previously cooked but not recorded elsewhere.

My last trip home saw me snap a few childhood favourites written in my mothers hand (showing a similar leaning to mis-spelling so I guess it’s genetic).



None are in any order. There are clear files filled to the brim mixing savoury and sweet, computer files exploding all over the place.


So how do you archive your recipes? What works for you? I must admit that even with a laptop, paper is more practical to take to the kitchen. The loving smears of food only enhance its worth – showing it has been made. Adding hand written notes in the margin. But lone pieces tend to get lost (where is the muffin recipe I was perfecting? It was on the table a month ago?) and I would need about 100 folders if I am to keep one recipe to a page.

So many recipes - so little time!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have the same prob. That's why I started this blog - because I hoped to get my recipes up in some sort of viable storage. Not getting very far, very quickly, I'm afraid. And yes, one does have to print out to take to the kitchen. Hope you get yours up and running a bitt quicker than I am.

Blessings and bliss

1:41 pm  
Blogger paul kennedy said...

My mother has fifty years of recipes in several drawers in the kitchen and keeps ripping more out of Epicure and other papers and then brings obscure more old books like Hotch Potch from op shops.

My best method is compiling everything in those plastic folder sheets, even hand written notes.

2:27 pm  
Blogger din said...

I'm suspecting this is a universal problem with anyone who loves to cook. Determined not to be like my mum with drawers full of loose recipes, I've dedicated books for handwritten and cut out recipes. However what I use daily are the spiral folders with plastic pockets with means I can sort and refine as I go (one each for cakes, biscuits, preserves and main meals). Plus of course there are innumerable bookmarked and saved recipes from the internet which I will probably never tackle...

9:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet