Tuesday, March 13, 2007

the vegetable meme

Cindy from 'Where's the beef?' tagged me for this meme.

1. Is there a vegetable you hated as a child, but came to love as you got older?

I have always been a fussy eater and there was a plethora of veg I didn’t eat as a child (though even if I lived on cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and potatoes most of the time – I did eat vegetables every day.) Now I like them all except cooked peas. Probably two of the childhood strong dislikes I enjoy most now are pumpkin and spinach. Heck – I’ll even eat silverbeet (chard) now as long as its cooked with lots of garlic, onion and lemon.

2. Most underrated vegetable?

Parsnips. We never ate them at home but I have a strong memory of the neighbours dishing me up mashed carrot and parsnip and thinking it was the most delicious vegetable I had ever eaten. In London my housemates got me onto parsnip chips – finely sliced longitudinally, brushed with oil and sea salt, then baked in the oven.

3. Name one favourite summer vegetable dish.

I like Thai salads, flavoured with lime, fish sauce and a little sugar. The recent Green Mango salad was delish. (I know it’s a fruit, though green its much more like a veg, there were other salad ingredients in it too!).


4. And one for winter?

Vegetable pies or curries. Or a vegetable curry with lots of root vegetables and turning the leftovers into pies the next day!

Winter is a good excuse to eat lots of spuds. Last year I started making my own version of colcannon, which can be a bit addictive. It's cold weather comfort food at its best.

5. What vegetables are in your fridge and freezer right now?

Fennel, mixed lettuces, zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, onion, potato, eggplants, corn on the cob, brocolli, Lebanese cucumbers, shitake mushrooms…There are tomatoes and parsley too but they aren’t strictly veg.

None in the freezer, that’s for vodka, ice, fish stock and the cats’ meat!

6. Is there a vegetable you really like but don't make much yourself?

Beetroot – especially baked. There is an apple-like sweetness when it is cooked this way, nothing like the earthy rawness of raw beetroot. In London the local market in Dalston sold beetroot freshly cooked. I can still see the steam coming off it on a cold morning. Why don't I cook it that often now? I just don’t like having red hands!

If you haven't done the vegetable meme yet and it tickles your fancy, consider yourself tagged :)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Oh! I love parsnips too.

9:42 am  
Blogger Cindy said...

Thanks for joining in, AOF! I knew you'd have a few vege experiences that diverged from my own. :-)

10:33 am  
Blogger dorothee said...

I tried parsnips for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago, and they quickly made it to my favorite vegetables!
Do you have a recipe for baked beetroots? I've got some in the fridge that need to go, and I'm not such a beetroot lover so I don't know many recipes. My boyfriend likes them way more than I do, that's why we have some.

1:21 am  
Blogger GS said...

Dorothee - bake them like you would a potato. I scrub rather than peel and toss in a little oil and seasoning and bake in a hot oven. Time depends on if you leave them whole or cut them into small pieces.

Or you might want to add other root vegetables, onion and a head of garlic and make a baked vegetable salad (just add vinegrette). This one I made last year is another variation on the theme http://confessionsofafoodnazi.blogspot.com/2006/11/all-that-remains.html

9:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet