Sunday, April 17, 2011

works in progress 2: garden ready to go

Last weekend, just before the wet stuff fell in bucket loads from the sky, we rebuilt the itty-bitty inner city garden bed.



It took half a truck of mixed mushroom and organic compost, two people and a couple of shovels, to load 50-odd wheel barrows full of the lovely compost to rebuild the depleted bed.



An hour or two later, nicely topped with 4 bales of lucerne, we could sit back and admire the work.


(yes I really will cover the blue board one day, I prefer to garden/cook/eat than undertake DIY projects)

Some of the strawberries went straight back in but stage two of planting will hopefully get done over easter. I have a well established cardamom that will sit in that hard to reach middle spot, atop a sadly growing cat cemetery.

Meanwhile the seed raising experiment is having some success a mere week after starting. The spring onions have sprouted and almost ready to go into the ground. Then I'll start another batch, to stagger the crop. Still waiting for the parsley and coriander to show signs of life but I have faith they'll do their job.

Has anyone grown turmeric? Some uneaten tubers have sprouted in the bowl in the kitchen. Do they grow as big as ginger? Not sure the little patch can take it but I might give it a go.

Next silverbeet (‘cos it’s nutritious, delicious and foolproof to grow), lettuces and the odd brassica.


Speaking of gardens. Take 12 minutes and watch this delightful video about gardening and life.



This woman is amazing. Not sure when the piece was made but considering she was born in the 1880's I'm pretty sure it was shot on film. I loved the calming muted colours and clarity of birdsong throughout.


Parts of this originally posted elsewhere.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Maureen said...

People who love gardening share a connection to the earth, I reckon. I put some turmeric in a pot yesterday - hope it starts to grow like yours has!

1:44 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Maureen - sure do. There's also a great study I read lately that showed that when people connect to nature they become more caring and generous as well. Turmeric in a pot is a great idea.

2:09 pm  
Blogger Ran said...

I have grown Tumeric in Melbourne -BUT the harvest was pretty poor - they really need heat and lots of water and tend to die back in winter. I thought I had lost mine last winter but they did come back in summer. Just harvested some :)

If you want to try them over winter a pot is a really good idea, and if you can north facing near a brick wall or somthing and protect from frost. Good luck! and let us know how you go becasue I dont think i would grow again in the ground...

3:57 pm  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

an impressive body of work. I hope you sat back afterwards with a nice drink and just admired it all.

4:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great AOF-you might have re-kindled my interest after it has been bludgeoned by possums/wallabbies etc. Nice raised beds btw!

6:31 pm  
Blogger GS said...

It's a mere 9 square metres of dirt, so very low commitment gardening. I love my raised bed even though it literally takes up half my little back yard but the seating around the edge is very hand for parties :)

10:51 am  
Blogger Chelsey said...

Love your journey through cooking and gerdening. My husband and I are trying to get more into gardening and entering in fresh vegetable cooking contests
since we're both retired now. It's great to see your progress!

Take care!
-- Chelsey

3:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet