Saturday, July 18, 2009

links, herbs and more stinging nettles

I’ve been a bit slow to catch Cheryls WHB round up, so it was a lovely surprise to see the goodies on offer. Anh’s sesame and tofu biscuits have really got my brain firing. I can’t wait til she experiments with savoury, seaweed crackers.

I love the simplicity of quinoa and Cheryl’s lemony mint version looks delicious. Then I noticed her chickpea crackers and marvelled at them too. The more gluten-free goodness the better!

And before we leave gorgeous grains, Lucy’s millet post is a timely reminding to excavate my pantry to make a millet pilaf.

I’ve not jumped on the agave bandwagon, wanting to find out more about the product first. It appears some of my suspicions are well founded. Dawn at Small Footprint Family has put her qualifications in holistic nutrition to good use to put together a well researched post on agave.

Our winter vegetable patch is much neglected. We are still harvesting fiery red chillies (and to be honest I’ve rather had enough of having my mouth and nether regions assaulted by the stuff) and the parsley has finely decided to grow to a decent size. But best of all, self-seeded nettles have taken over the remaining ground. They are young and tender and just crying out to be cooked. There will definitely be more nettle tortillas , possibly a soup with potatoes and using it as a substitute for spinach. Anyone got any more ideas?

Update: Just found this recipe for nettle pate at Small Footprint Family - excited as it is vegan and gluten-free.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

Agave, heated for 36 hours? Oy vey. Back to maple syrup for me. Shame, but that's a lotta processing.

My nettles are coming along very nicely in all the rain we've had. Shall watch comments as they grow.

12:12 pm  
Anonymous penny said...

I've used nettles for risotto. it works perfectly!

7:46 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

some great links - I'd love to use nettles in soup or risotto

8:22 am  
Blogger GS said...

Penny - Welcome :) I've got risotto on my nettle list, its just that we don't tend to eat it very often. Do you blanch the nettles first or just throw them in the risotto raw?

Lucy - I'm wondering what you will do with your crop?

Johanna - if you want some nettles and you are going to be in the neighbourhood in the next week send me a text (hopefully I will have the phone turned on this time!)

4:31 pm  
Blogger Dawn said...

Thanks for the shout out!! Hope you enjoyed the pate!

Dawn @ Small Footprint Family

7:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet