Sunday, October 21, 2007

time to lighten up

Jill Dupleix's is a prolific home cook and food writer, who Aussies have known about for years. Her latest effort "Lighten Up" breathes a little commonsense into the concept of eating for good health. Thankfully this is not another diet book. She engages some simple philosophies such as eating oats for breakfast, going for moderation over abstinence, having quality alcohol in smaller quantities (preferably with food) and of course getting off your bottom and moving your body more.

While she doesn't necessarily skimp on oil and the book still features it's fair share of dairy and meat - there is a great quinoa dish, lots of fish, miso, tofu and best of all - natural, vegan "ice-cream" made from bananas (I've earmarked the chocolate version).

I'd not describe the recipes as 'pure foodnazi' but I love it's down to earth approach. Recipes are simple and appear easy to follow. The short blurbs introducing the book and each section are inspiring. This is casual, health conscious yet still impressive home cooking at it's best.



Update 12/07: check out the mango ice-cream

5 Comments:

Blogger Su said...

I've been looking for a new cookbook with a bit of a healthier touch without being overly "nazi", as you say so I'd be really interesting in reading about any particular recipes you try from this book!
- Sue

7:36 pm  
Blogger Wendy said...

Bought this last week and am a bit disappointed with it. Usually a huge fan of Jill Dupleix and I applaud the concept of the book but I wasn't inspired at all. Perhaps I've judged too quickly... Will give it another chance on your recommendation. :)

4:15 am  
Blogger Ange said...

I've now heard a few good comments about this book - I will definitely check it out next time I am in a bookshop, anything healthy & light gets a big tick for me, esp for everyday cooking

7:08 am  
Blogger GS said...

Wendy - I liked this one more than the others, in the sense that with my dietary restrictions there were more recipes I could make. I also like her introduction and the list of points she make about eating for health - they got my tick. It was the chocolate "icecream" that tipped me over to buying it in the end.

My disappointment was Heidi Swanson's new cookbook...I love so many of the recipes on her blog and she should have ticked more health boxes for me....but I will write about that soon.

Let me know what you think of the book Su and Ange - when you get some quality bookshop time to have a look at it.

7:26 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Ah, yes, I was pleased to hear her husband talking about how she'd taken charge of his eating (have you seen the much reduced Mr Durak(?) lately?). This must be the resultant book.

As ashamed to admit this as I am, I too was a little disappointed with Heidi's book, though the blog is exceptional. Look forward to your thoughts.

12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet