Monday, November 21, 2011

a subversive plot

Today I discovered a new geeky pin-up boy and worked on a subversive plot.

Thanks to Mark Bittman's thanksgiving piece in the NY Times, I give you my latest food/gardening/political heart throb, Roger Dorian and his inspiring TED Talk.



But now it's time to go back to my subversive 9 square metre plot.

Seasonal garden update



Spring finds me still hanging onto the last of my winter cavolo nero and rainbow chard. Both attempting to bolt and go to seed.

It's still a thrill to come home from work and pick a carrot to munch on while I cook dinner.

The parsnips have been a good experiment. But the true revelation was eating them raw, young and tender. Who ever new a parsnip could taste so good?

The coriander disappointingly yielded no seeds this year. I'd raised them from seeds saved from last years abundance, planted in the same spot but alas the bolt began but fizzled, seedless. Anyone know why?

The parsley is bushy but not for long.

But the sorrel continues to be a star - fresh as a citrusy salad green or tossed through an omelette, I'm thoroughly addicted to the stuff.

New season kids on the block

So shoot me for harking back to the same old, but it aint summer without the trusty Tommy Toe tomatoes.


I've added an heirloom "Burnley Surecrop" to see how it goes.

There's eggplant in the spot closest to the barbecue. I regretted forgetting to plant some last year. Looking forward to that one quick move from garden, chopping board to grill this summer.

Lastly, there's a lot of strawberries - some fruiting already but between the cat covering them up in a frenzied feline OCD manner and the birds (must get some netting) I've only managed to salvage one so far.


I need to say farewell to the winter greens and plant some summer leafies. Such a small inner city plot will never fully feed me but it does cut my weekly organic veggie shop down by half.

And there's the buzz of being part of a global, subversive plot!

Oh and I still haven't covered the blue board, stopped the back shed from falling down and otherwise beautified my backyard. I prefer focusing on the beauty of green, growing things instead.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

looks good.

my coriander - which was your coriander from last year - is flowering profusely now. did you perhaps pull it out too soon?

will watch rog right now, thanks.

1:57 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Lucy I left the plant in the ground til it gave up and died. Had a good 6 months of healthy coriander leaf from it. What do you think of Rog?

2:45 pm  
Anonymous Sharon said...

Love Roger! Love the idea of a subversive plot. Loved his communication of gardening is empowering self and taking power from others.

2:53 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Sharon, aint he spesh! I thought I was just growing veggies, how much happier it makes me to know I'm part of something much bigger :)

2:59 pm  
Blogger Tammois said...

Gorgeous garden, Gill! And I'm totally with you on sorrel - I used some in my hollandaise recently instead of basil - heaven! I can't watch Roger due to rural interwebz though. :-(

3:07 pm  
Anonymous Lucy said...

hmmm. 'tis a shame, that. dead in the ground is well dead. will share mine when/if they go insane.

rog is wonderful, he is so inspiring. made me go off and google how much land the u.n. thinks we need to feed a person (no luck, i am afraid). but. i feel a revolution brewing...we shall talk, you and i.

4:08 pm  
Anonymous Laura said...

Mmm parsnip! Have you tried Jamie Oliver's Parsnip and Pancetta pasta? It's to-die-for!

12:09 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Hi Laura (and the Cream Team) you mightn't have noticed this is a bit of a pig (and mammal flesh) free zone around here :)

12:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet