Sunday, August 03, 2008

i n e r t i a

In bed.

I am quite well thanks. Between the sheets is where I want to be right now. Actually lets clarify the time frame, now means the last couple of months. It is cold outside and the sunlight unreliable. Inside with the cat purring, competing with the macbook for my lap. A high thread count, warm, cotton cocoon.

Not lot of cooking goes on in the bedroom. I am ambivalent about what may be eaten in bed as well. Nothing too crunchy or crumbly. Something that can be consumed with a fork, a spoon or one hand. Nothing drippy or too liquid.

Spurred on by Kathryn’s challenge, you know the one that has synchronistically had many local bloggers excavating the nether regions of their pantries, I had barley for breakfast. I bought it on a long ago spring clean, no doubt with a thick veggie soup, stew or maybe some kind of risotto like concoction in mind. It never happened. Well barley porridge may work for her but it got a definite thumbs down in this house. Well soaked, adequately cooked, jazzed up with a little rice milk, maple syrup, passionfruit and a few slices of banana. The fruit made it bearable but it was boring. Good texture but bland.

Back to the drawing board.

I love oats or quinoa as warm breakfast cereals. I am tempted to make a much forgotten recipe from the Atomic Cafe Cookbook that features cornmeal and dried apricots. I may even consider millet. Buckwheat? Maybe not, surely eating something grey for breakfast on a cloudy day would tempting the blahs just a little too much.

Has anyone found the ultimate winter’s breakfast?

What do you like to eat in bed?

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Q1 oats
Q2 nothing from the kitchen!

2:25 pm  
Blogger GS said...

I'm with you on number one and as for two *cough*.. :)

11:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well there you go. Different flavours, different people.

I'm still loving the barley. I do jazz it up: soy milk, fruit, LSA, some agave or maple syrup. But love the texture and gentle flavour. Find it hearty, nourishing and a breakfast that lasts.

On the other hand, oats just don't cut it for me. I know they're low GI, but two hours after eating I'm hungry, HUNGRY.

But my more regular breakfast (at the moment) is really good wholegrain toast, with some kind of home-made white bean dip, cucumber & rocket. Delicious.

12:37 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

Pancakes are my indulgences but smoothies have been cheering me up this winter! And give me good toast any morning! But don't try and make me eat porridge - have never liked the stuff

1:35 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Kathryn - I was so excited about reading of your barley porridge, I so wanted to like it :) I did like the texture and how it sat in my stomach - it had a presence without being too heavy. Now I think about it I never did like barley soup as a child but in adulthood I put that down to the lambshank factor. Maybe it just aint the grain for me.

Johanna - oat porridge seems to be a love or hate thing. I have great difficulty eating porridge that anyone else has made for me, as much as I love my own.

3:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet