Thursday, April 24, 2008

market goodies #2

This little foodblogger went to market,
This little foodblogger came home,
This little foodblogger got out her camera
And went click, click, click all the way home.


Well not quite, but with all this talk about the rising price of food thought it would be timely to see just how much the fruit and veggie shopping cost this week. Admittedly we still have a fair amount of fruit, vegetables and some other staples left over from an extra mid-week shop or two last week.



All the vegetables are organic, though not the fruit. The whole snapper came in at $16 (just over $14 a kilo) - it is cheaper to buy it in Melbourne than Wellington despite NZ being the country of origin. There is some wild rice, dried cranberries and oats (also raw pistachios not included in the picture). Vegetables - silverbeet/chard (to go with lots of garlic, onion, lemon and olive oil on gluten-free pasta), zucchini, sweet potato, carrots, red and brown onions, garlic, rocket, tomatoes, radishes, romanesco broccoli (isn't it pretty!), brussels sprouts (the Significant Eater has a thing for them), desiree potatoes and pak choi. Fruit - bananas, persimmons and mandarins. And lastly some low salt Lingurian olives, eggplant dip and a couple of vegetarian cabbage rolls.

Total cost: Au$107.50

What is the cost of food where you are and what does your weekly shop look like?

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger grocer said...

I love the thought you've put behind doing this post!

Many complain about the ever increasing food prices but few think about what they put in their basket. I still think if you shop like you are, you're going to get a LOT of food for your money.

In my business $25 a person will get you a week's worth (calculated on 5 days - who eats EVERYTHING from home?) of F&V according to the 2&5 healthy eating guidelines. Yet I only have one customer who actually gets through this amount of F&V in the week, each week!

My shopping budget? we just eat the "scraps"!

2:29 pm  
Blogger Pinky said...

Fantastic photo... love it. And nice design, too: the colours and shapes look great!

7:18 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

love the photo - fruit and vegetables are so photogenic aren't they! My food costs vary depending on if I shoppping at markets or supermarkets - wish I could say it was more of the latte. I wish it looked like that romanesco broccoli

11:30 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

The snapper looks sensational.

Will give this some thought when I shop next week. Just a question...why organic veg over fruit? Was the organic fruit too expensive? Just interested.

I nearly fell of my perch at Macro Wholefoods 'tother day when I bought a handful of organic blood plums that came to $11.95...they were wonderful, but bloody hell...

10:25 am  
Blogger GS said...

Lucy - you answered your own question. With almost all the organic fruit priced at over $9.50/kg at the moment it's a luxury. I had a bargain 2 kg bag of apples at home already, so I just topped up with conventional for the significant eater who can't taste the difference.

Grocer - sounds amazingly good value. Though the SE takes his lunch every day to uni (masses of raw veg) so our house would get through about 4 adults worth I reckon.

Pinky - thanks. The arrangement is a happy accident. I never give myself any credit for being a visual person.

10:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my fruit and veg for the week.

2:43 pm  
Blogger grocer said...

I have posted a picture of the 2&5 box for one person - it's not the most flattering photo, my crystal ball didn't warn me i might need it for blogging in the future!

8:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet