Saturday, September 18, 2010

garden update

Spring is here and while the water catchment is not overflowing, there's 50% more water in the dams than this time last year. Dropping back to Stage 2 restrictions we can water by hand at whenever we wish, not that the garden needs it after all the winter and spring rain. After just a couple of days away it's been a shock to see the overgrown greenery in my tiny veggie patch.


A see of green: nettles, radicchio, kale, chilies (being harvested), silverbeet (chard) spring onions, coriander, parsley and cauliflowers.


The SE was bought up on radicchio, I'd call this chicory, though they are all varieties of the same family. This leaf is very bitter but it'll make great horta.


shhh the baby cauliflower is sleeping...


...one that has woken up, now harvested for tonight's dinner.


chilies harvested, soon to be harissa.

There are a few strawberry plants struggling to survive as the cat keeps covering them up. I'd like to grow more spring onions and salad greens before summer hits. There will be tomatoes in summer but not sure what else I can fit (the raised bed is only a few square metres). Any ideas?

If you'd like some nettles and can pick them up from Melbourne's inner north this weekend, email or message me.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Johanna GGG said...

looks so green and lush and peaceful that no one would imagine a baby cauliflower massacre taking place there :-)

I saw the nettles and thought I am glad I had my nettle experience last year because I think there might be too much activity from small people for space or energy to do it this year :-(

5:51 pm  
Blogger Antoinette said...

That's fantastic! What a harvest!

6:43 pm  
Blogger Christina said...

Hooray! Beautiful!

12:01 pm  
Anonymous rose gold said...

Yummy hot chilies! Those are perfect for some hot chili yummy soup! I love your broccoli. It is really big and perfect. I can’t wait to harvest my broccoli to cook it for dinner

4:05 am  
Blogger GS said...

Christina I made some of your chile-garlic relish. Not sure I'd use it as a relish as such, just a great way to preserve the chopped chili.
http://athinkingstomach.blogspot.com/2010/09/100.html

7:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet