Tuesday, November 24, 2009

rainy days and mondays

Nothing like a cool change to get the spring back in my step. This week my mind has re-engaged with the world of food once more. Hallelujah!

Here’s a quick update – with more to come soon.

I’ve started a ginger beer bug, so that means in two weeks we can bottle up our brew. About once every decade or two I give this a go. I like mine lemony and not too sweet. Can’t wait to experiment with the final mix.

In two weeks time I’ll have a ginger beer bug to give away, so if you are staying in Melbourne over the festive season and need a project, let me know.

I spent a rainy day thinking about vegan truffles. Will do a test batch soon and let you know how it goes. Can you temper chocolate (to give the truffles a harder coating and longer life) without a thermometer? Any tips?

Yesterday Lucy and I spent a delightful day stuffing vine (and other) leaves. We came up with a superb new recipe that I will be sharing soon. Even better – if you don’t have a grapevine we found an in-season alternative that won us over.

So a teaser, look at the morsels in the photo on the top layer. Can you guess what we used?



Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

Silver beet?

8:51 am  
Blogger Ran said...

cabbage/ kale?

i use silverbeet in winter and it is damned nice

i made vine leaves on Sunday with a girlfriend too. much easier than doing it on my own!

11:27 am  
Blogger Zoe said...

thermometers are pretty cheap - under $25 and useful for lots of things.

2:01 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Good guesses so far but no ones got it yet! Keep trying :)

Zoe, what else do you use your thermometer for?

3:33 pm  
Blogger Gastronomy Gal said...

looks good. Just love fresh dolmades.

9:40 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

Dying to be a smart arse and let everyone know, but where's the fun in that?

All I will say is this: we nailed it.

And I wish I had more. All gone, already.

6:48 pm  
Blogger Zoe said...

I poach things a lot in summer, so use it to check the stock's at a good point. I also use it if I make a custard occasionally, and husbang uses it for homebrewing. I also just stick it in stuff all the time and go "oh, whaddaya know, that's what 80 degrees will do" but I understand that may not be a widely shared hobby ;)

12:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet