Monday, November 03, 2008

beyond the fridge door - round up

"Our fridge contained only allergy serum, Coke and Maraschino cherries."
Catherine Gildiner, "Too Close to the Falls"

I was hooked when I heard Gildiner interviewed on radio, the minute she recounted the contents of her childhood refrigerator. As soon as I could I bought her memoir, wanting to know more about a child growing up in such a home in the 1950's where every meal was eaten in a diner and the oven was only used to dry wet mittens.

It seems I am not the only one who is curious to see what lies on the shelves of people’s fridges. While the door may be a modern equivalent of the Rorschach (Ink Blot) test, what lies behind chilling quietly, could arguably tell us more. Well at least about what a person likes to eat.




Brazen used the photo opportunity to remind her to clean a few things out of the fridge past their use-by date. Check out the notes on her Flickr pics.











Mediterranean Kiwi, over at Organically Cooked (who incidentally comes from my home town but now lives on my favourite Greek island) supplied two shots that she'd prepared earlier - fridge contents in winter and summer.










Wendy at A Wee Bit of Cooking from snowy Scotland, sent a Flickr link packed with notes complaining that her fridge didn't look up to scratch due to having been away all week. For a supposedly bare fridge it is still packed with goodness!










The home of Progressive Dinner Party aka Zoe's place in Canberra, has furnished a wonderful Flickr set. The organization of her fridge made my virgo heart flutter with joy!














All the way from Oshawa, Canada Sarah of What Smells So Good?, has thrown open the doors of not only her fridge and freezer but also her pantry as well. There is a complete rundown of contents on her site.













Armchair Foodie's creator Megan rose to my strange challenge admirably and opened a lovely dialogue between Hood River, Oregon and Melbourne, Australia. Good to see there are fellow bloggers with bottles of vodka chilling in their freezer.















Melbourne friend Doc Witch who waxes lyrical at Dark Side of The Broom, described the inside of her fridge as Hellmouth but really its just crammed full with delicious gluten-free food (not to mention all those naturopathic goodies nestled in the door).















Single White Female, Catherine from Perth, intrigued me by keeping her vegemite in the fridge. Her soy milk stash is also impressive! Pop over and see her beautifully labeled photos.















Lucy at Nourish Me has just moved into her new Melbourne pad and managed to take the time to put up a fully noted flickr stream documenting what lies beyond her fridge door.

















Almost forgot to add my own entry. The SE's love of pickles dominating this pic. Just your average dairy-averse, market-loving Melbourne fridge!















Thanks to all those who participated (or did so in spirit) in this spontaneous little event. I enjoyed your pictures immensely. Special thanks to the newcomers to this blog for getting involved.

It has been suggested this should be a regular thing...stay tuned. You never know what will inspire me on another quiet weekend further down the track.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! Love the wet mittens comment. I enjoyed lurking on the sidelines and snooping in other peoples' refrigerators. I actually took a photo of mine, but never got my act together to create a blog post. Next time.
Melissa

1:46 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Melissa - I'll take a latecomer if you want to post it :)

3:28 pm  
Blogger Maria Verivaki said...

we all seem to stock a heck of a lot of food, don't we?!@

4:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love perving at other people's fridges. I was going to participate but that meant I felt driven to cleaning up the kombucha spill in the door rack and ...confession time...I couldn't be bothered and it still needs doing. I am a slattern.

8:22 am  
Blogger GS said...

Dani- I'm all for embracing our inner slattern. You should see the state of my bedroom at the moment!

Kiwi - oh we do..there is a fine line though between loving food and wasting it sometimes!

8:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. I LOVE snakeing a look at other peple's things. Fridges particularly.

Am most impressed by Zoe's organisational skills. Love the containers - AOF, yours is very neat, too.

Sadly, my poor little fridge is on its last legs...it's leaking water now. Must get out that book again. Such a hoot!

10:49 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should read 'sneaking'...

10:50 am  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

thanks for a peak inside - and liked your comments on what people keep in fridges - it is always a surprise isn't it!

11:40 am  
Blogger Single White Female said...

It's Catherine - not Sarah :)

I too am hoarding vodka in the freezer, cupboard, under the kitchen sink....

Yes we do have rather well stocked fridges imagine how they will be at Christmas time!!

2:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I never knew my fridge was organised until this event - aof, you illuminate us all!

And there's a large and nearly empty bottle of gin buried in my freezer, does that count?

5:00 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Catherine - thanks, corrected my mistake now :)

Zoe - next event "Where we hide the bottles" :)

3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet