Friday, February 01, 2008

not quite Feb Fast

I’m raising a glass of sparkling mineral water to all those embarking on a grog-free month, with a special shout out to the odd bloggers who have gone public about joining Feb Fast.

I heard about it first through RRR and a little delving into the organization has shown it to be sound and worthy – using the idea of going alcohol free for a month to increase awareness about substance abuse issues and fundraising for the cause.

The site points out a few factoids like:

In Australia, the annual cost to the community of alcohol-related social problems was estimated to be $7.6 billion in 1998-99.

It is estimated that 459,400 Australians consume alcohol at levels considered to be high risk to health in the long-term (AIHW 2005)

The impact of alcohol problems upon workplaces in Australia is significant, costing business at least $1.9 billion per year.


The Significant Eater and I have contracted to avoid alcohol this month with our own prearranged exceptions – interstate/overseas visitors (it’s OK Pixie I’ve got a leave pass for our time together in Melbourne!) and a birthday. I’ve also sponsored a couple of people who are going the whole hog.

So I’ll just have to wait a few weeks before posting about the lovely raspberry infused vodka I’ve made and darn it, no mojitos with the duty free tequila I bought back from New Zealand.

Here’s to a healthy and happy month.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed Charles said...

Good luck. Citron Presse tonight. i suspect we'kl be eating a lot of Chinese/japanese (green tea) and Indian (Lassi).

6:18 pm  
Blogger Helen said...

Oh I reckon we could cope, but I'm happy to be your "out". We'll go for superior quality. wish the duty free wine prices were actually bargains.

The kitchen hand post was a gem!

7:22 pm  
Blogger Ange said...

Good Luck, I've just finished my (almost) year of breastfeeding & am indulging in way too much wine for now which I just cant say no to after the whole nearly 2 years of pregnancy/feeding so maybe next year I will join in for the good cause.

8:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet