Thursday, March 09, 2006

Another fishy Thursday

My day off is meant to provide a leisurely afternoon to play with food. But that doesn’t seem to be so at the moment. The ongoing Thursday renovation conferences have taken over the space I had hoped to inhabit with things culinary. There is the expected stress over quotes. The dilemma of tiles versus glass splash backs. The cutting up of measured to scale squares representing various appliances and a lot of swearing trying to find how to squeeze in a 900mm rather than the 600mm oven. You know, that kind of thing.

I am surprised it hasn’t driven me to drink.

Or chocolate.

So it's fish night again and by the time I have got off the phone, gone for a walk, communicated with my world…it’s after 8pm and dinner has not begun. This weeks quest involved flathead needing to be boned and food in my stomach before I fainted.

A meal in 15 minutes? No problem.

I managed to excise 2, gorgeous long fillets and this is what it became.

Flathead with a polenta-zaatar crust

Prepare fillets and pat dry. Give scraps to very attentive feline. Reserve bony bits to make fish stock.

Take some fine polenta, and add a generous tablespoon or so of zaatar (a Middle Eastern spice mix featuring thyme, sesame seeds, sumac and salt) and mix thoroughly.

Dip fillets into beaten egg, Let them drip a little, then roll in the polenta mix.

Cook in a medium-hot pan in a little unroasted sesame oil.

Serve with salad and/or roast vegetables, and some lemon wedges.

……………………….


I plated it up beautifully, already to shoot but it was dark by then and by the time I had begun to juggle with lighting the protesting stomach couldn’t wait any longer. It really did look good enough to eat – and it was!

Variations:
I’ve previously made this with 5 spice powder or garam marsala and some salt in the polenta. Both very yummy. The zataar had a stronger flavour that went well with the olives, rocket and fennel in the salad.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger plum said...

You bone your own fish? I'm impressed!

3:55 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Only sometimes, but its worth it to make stock. Also I don't feel so guilty giving scraps to the cat that way :) (as is i have a choice miaow miaow miaow !)

7:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your fish recipes are really inspiring, I'm tempted to give this one a go tomorrow. We're just started the kitchen renovation drama, tomorrow is benchtop decision day. Leaves me a little shakey I've got to say.

8:34 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Update: for those with an egg allergy or are out of them in the house, this works just fine replacing the pre-crumb dip with milk. Any kind. Even rice milk

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet