Thursday, September 16, 2010

random kitchen post

I've got so much junk on my small kitchen bench that I'm too intimidated to post a picture. At least half are vitamins and herbs. You choose, am I healthy, sick or just neurotic?

But there are a few goodies.

The latest batch of preserved lemons are made Diana Henry (Crazy Water Pickled Lemons) style. Press the salted lemons in the jar, weighted, for a few days to let the juice come out. Then add lemon juice to cover, coriander seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon quills. Seal with oil. I couldn't help myself and added some black peppercorns too.

Beside it sits the remains of a very fine dessert wine. My father found two bottles in his "cellar" (while the basement under the garage is relatively cool, it's far too damp) a year ago and was going to throw them out. "They're old", he said "and sweet!". His loss was my gain. Oh so good.

The remains of some marinated olives are ready for topping up again. They taste even better gently warmed.



Finally got the knife rack up on the wall, thanks to the man-with-power-tools being in residence once more. I love the $6 Victorinox paring knives and the curled tip of my grandmother's grapefruit knife. The Brazilian all purpose beauty has served me well for over a decade now.



Is your kitchen counter a minimalist dream or full of clutter?

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

oooh how do you find the knife rack? I am very tempted to get one for our new kitchen!

1:10 pm  
Blogger Anna said...

Minimalist!
It's not a fancy kitchen but I like the one bench that has nothing on it but a mortar and pestle and a scale. Having a completely clear bench like that makes it feel like a blank slate upon which I can create anything...

1:31 pm  
Blogger GS said...

Lisa - love the rack, though it's early days usage-wise.

Anna - I'm a minimalist trapped in a clutterers body. Every time I clear the bench it lasts less than a day. Good on you for keeping a blank slate.

3:52 pm  
Blogger shula said...

My benches are jammed to the rafters.

7:27 pm  
Anonymous lisa said...

What lovely things you have in your kitchen! Sadly I have no bench space at all so cannot report what I keep there. I do have a mantle above the oven which stores cookbooks, my scales and herbs/spices, and on a small cabinet live oils and sauces. I think I should use my wall space to better effect - perhaps put in a spice rack - because the one thing I do have is lovely walls and high ceilings. However, I don't have a DIY bone in my body - even if I had the tools I wouldn't know how to do it!

8:28 pm  
Blogger Johanna GGG said...

My kitchen is a minimalist's nightmare - I missed out on the minimalist gene that my sister's all have (and their larger kitchens) and it is lots of clutter.

I am a sucker for a good dessert wine - sounds like it was a win win situation when you took those bottles off your father's hands!

11:22 pm  
Blogger Lucy said...

I'm a surfaces girl (in my dreams) 'cos the kitchen's kinda my studio as well as a functioning room.

We'll see how things pan out in the new kitchen/s!

7:44 am  
Blogger Kath Lockett said...

Ooooh that knife rack scares me a bit - mine are hidden away in a drawer as part of my tiny effort to keep the benches clean. After all, my beloved Mrs Krups needs a clear space if she's to make me a couple of good heart starters each morning!

9:13 am  
Blogger GS said...

I reckon minimalists and clutters are running neck and neck in this pole.

Kath, do you find your knives get blunt in the drawers?

10:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet