Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hill Street blues, reds and greens

“It’s crap”, the knowledgeable local uttered when I said I was going to pop into Wellington’s Hill Street Market on Saturday morning. But I could feel a little tingle in my produce hunting bones and bartered my precious short break from family commitments to head off to the capital city’s newest farmer’s market.



Though small the market has potential. On the day I attended I found good quality organic produce including some spectacular Savoy cabbages for a mere NZ$2 (Au $1.57), what a bargain. I bought a bag of beautiful broccoli shoots and large organic eggs from the Wairarapa Eco Farm.



Tapioca Treats creates a range of gluten free products from breads to muffins and other sweet finds. Some are also dairy -free, like the chocolate muffin I sampled. Their stall looked much more appealing to me than the French bakery from the city that had its wares on display.

The market also sold meaty products, preserves, posies of flowers, fruit, wine and cheese. I wished I was going to be around for longer so I could have munched my way through more of the goods on offer but at least my sister had got to reap the benefit of my small organic harvest.

New Zealand has such a fabulous range of small producers, give the market a go!

Hill Street Farmers Market
9am – 1pm every Saturday
Hill Street (next to St Paul’s Church)
Thorndon
Wellington
New Zealand

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ann ODyne said...

I feel sorry for your friend. Is it the lack of polystyrene that earns the epithet 'crap' ?
Food-Sourcing will be the topic of the near future, I am sure.
More people will grow their own.

Brisbane has a huge and wonderful farmer's market - Northby, or a similar name. It was gorgeous with onsite veggie beds and roaming chickens.

All hail the cruciferous veggies!

7:00 am  
Blogger GS said...

Quite the opposite - she grows veggies and has chooks in suburban Wellington. More that when she'd visited the produce and amount of stalls not up to scratch.

I think it's worth Wellington peeps giving Hill Street another go this spring.

7:39 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Crap, schmap.

Sounds rather lovely, actually!

Lucky sister...

7:39 am  
Blogger GS said...

I'd say this market was better, more stalls and wider range of products than the Showground market in Melbourne when I visited this winter. And free two hour parking nearby too.

7:42 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Yes, perhaps it was more akin to a real farmer's market (as opposed to a providore's market disguised as a farmer's market).

Free parking = tops!

8:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet