Thursday, May 13, 2010

Moosewood-haus: celebrating dietary niches

I was going to write about the joy of coming across unexpected treasures tucked away, marking once favoured recipes. But you know what? ‘Fessing up to being bathed in warm waves of nostalgia from finding an almost two decade old tram ticket in one of my Moosewood cookbooks just made me feel ancient. Not sure what is more aging – remembering tram conductors punching the lovely rectangular tickets, or admitting to owning a number of the hippy classics.



Instead I will mention that elsewhere in the world it’s Coeliac Awareness week (in Australia it’s actually in March) and I came across this lovely link for the 50 Best Blogs For Going Gluten-Free.

Bringing together the gluten-free and vegetarian, I had lunch at a newish, local eatery that appeals to both groups. Munsterhaus is pleasantly modern and un-Moosewoodish. The handful of hot dishes and vast selection of cold ones are served cafeteria-style and the brown rice (slyly hid under the counter) would make even Molly Katzen happy. You choose your plate size then point to the offerings you wish to eat. My combination was vegan, dairy-free and mighty tasty, leaving me wanting a return visit to try more of their interesting fare.

Just as well lunch was so delightful as the day turned cactus with a flat tyre shortly after. If only I'd caught a tram to lunch.



Note: This is not a review and I have no affiliations with the place but I will shout loudly from the rooftops (or blog page) in support of any appetizing, healthy, vegan/low dairy eateries in my locality.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Johanna GGG said...

oh tram tickets make me feel nostalgic too - I think I have one in my 'files' somewhere and it does make me feel like so much has passed since I bought it. As does the moosewood cookbook - one of my first vego cookbooks and its useful has long outlasted our old tram tickets

I like your disclaimer - is this going to appear every time you mention a cafe or restaurant????

9:00 pm  
Blogger Ann ODyne said...

Yes, exactly. The good old days of hundreds of fully-employed Conductors.
I eat a lot of brown rice, and it seems to be keeping me alive.
I do wish I had been with you when you got the flat, to impress you with my ability to change a tyre. X X

6:53 am  
Blogger GS said...

Ann - The connies did so much more than sell tickets, they were ambassadors for the city. Some through in free entertainment as well. Re the flat, I was not alone which is just as well as though I know tyre changing basics, my buggered elbow has little strength for unscrewing the nuts right now.

Johanna - I promise the disclaimer will appear again the next time I fell some irony coming on :)

8:09 am  
Anonymous cheap bus hire said...

Wow, Nice blog! Great article. Thanks for sharing this. I'll be one of your blog follower.

4:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet