Sunday, June 01, 2008

National Porridge Day

I’ve just completed the first four steps of Flip Shelton’s advice on how to celebrate National Porridge day.

1. Start... slowly. Don't set the alarm.

2. Slip... into some woolly socks. (In this case a well worn woolly pair of ugg boots, bogan but toasty warm.)

3. Wander... into the kitchen and prepare a big bowl of Flip Shelton's fabulous new "five-grain porridge" with rolled oats, rye, barley, triticale and spelt.

4. Go... back to bed with your bowl of porridge or sit comfortably and eat slowly.


I managed to do all this without even consulting the website. How instinctive am I! But perhaps the 5th step which involves more activity (walking, pottering or generally communing with nature beyond the confines of the bedroom) will have to wait a while longer.

During the week a pack of the aforementioned “Five-grain Porridge” landed on my desk. My working life finds the odd freebie falling in my lap but rarely anything edible. As a longtime lover of porridge I was a little skeptical that this grainy, not overly processed, mix would require no cooking as it claimed. Simply a case of ‘just add (boiling) water’, cover, have your shower, then add your desired accompaniments and eat.

So I did.



The result. The grains were softened but still had a lot texture. The temperature was lukewarm after the addition of soy, a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkling of walnuts. Though certainly a more nutritious option than the popular instant varieties on the supermarket shelf, next time I will make it the traditional way.



But eating a bowl of porridge in bed is always a pleasant way to start the day.

If like me you are taking your time over step 4, the history of porridge makes an interesting read.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, porridge has to be cooked. It's great just with a spoonful of honey or sultanas and bananas.

6:50 pm  
Blogger Zoe said...

Wow, I didn't even know it was National Porridge Day! Nearly every day is National Porridge Day around here!

8:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LUUURVE porridge!

Macro Wholefoods does a homebrand 5 grain porridge (which sounds just like Flips), which is my regular grain of the morning.

I usually put a bit of tofu in it too, which boosts the protein a little. Yeah...sounds a bit kooky, but give it a try :-)

I then don it with a spoonful of honey, and whatever fresh fruit is at hand. Mmm...the perfect winter breakfast.

8:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet