Sunday, May 25, 2008

Solstice Cake 2008 - food blogging event

Here in the Southern hemisphere we are barely a month away from the winter solstice. The days are getting shorter and the nights decidedly cooler. This is the perfect season for dried fruit, nuts and warming spices. Unlike Christmas around these parts where it’s a case of “Fruit cake? No thanks, pass me anther mango please”, this time of year cries out for a rich fruity bit of baking.


Please join me in my inaugural food blogging event Solstice Cake – 2008. This is open to anyone who wishes to bake a Christmas-style fruit cake (or Solstice cake for my fellow pagans), anywhere in the world.

Rules

A cake is a cake is a… a full size, mini or even if you really must – muffins. But sorry no Christmas pud. Can be au naturel or iced. What defines this kind of cake is the inclusion of dried fruit and spices, sometimes nuts.

Your post should include the words “Solstice Cake 2008” in the title and/or in the body of the text. You are welcome to use the event logo as well.

Deadline your entry to be posted on your site and the following details emailed to me at otherrants(dot)gmail(dot)com by sunset on 25 June 2008. In your email please include a link to your post, who you are, where you are and anything special about your cake. It would be nice if you didn’t enter your cake into any other food blog events.

Please link your entry back to confessions of a food nazi.

Simple.

I look forward to reading about all your luscious Solstice Cakes…now get baking!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Antoinette said...

Fantastic idea! I'll definitely be in on that one! (Mine will be gluten-free of course...hehe).

9:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am interested in the food culture of your country. And I support your site. If there is time, please come in my site.
From Japan
http://food-soybean.blogspot.com/

10:15 pm  
Blogger Anna said...

Oohh, I'll be in on that! I'll bake my mum's christmas cake... actually, I think it's my great-great-grandmothers christmas cake... either way, for sure!

Not enough time between now and then to bake and ice it, I don't think... but will do my best!

8:59 am  
Blogger GS said...

Great to see this is bringing a few bloggers out of the woodwork. I know a cake takes time to mature and a month is so little time but updates later on tastings are fine too. The main thing is to get the cake baked by solstice week.

9:06 am  
Blogger Lucy said...

Yes. Well, consider me in.

Have just found exactly the cake to make.

Looking forward to it!

9:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to be thinking fruit cake (solstice cake) with summer right around the corner, but your event sounds like too much fun to miss out on just because I live on the opposite side of the planet. I have missed all of you wonderful bloggers lately! Sorry I've been so out-of-touch. Life sometimes takes precendence over messing with my computer; at least in a blogging way.

Hmmm? I will try this when I have a free moment to play Betty Crocker. How about mesquite flour? I'll use some of that. Maybe I will multi-task as my mum's birthday is June 22nd. Wonder if she'd like a gluten-free mesquite solstice cake? Sounds good to me.

I'll be back and thanks for keeping in touch, AOF!

Take care,
Melissa

7:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh.

I really like your blog, but I am so very turned off by the name.

Enough that I wanted to say so.

We cannot ever forget that the Nazi's tortured and killed six million innocent people.

Six million.

So awful, so not cute, so not funny, so not cool, so not "foodie."

Yes, I know its a reference to Seinfeld, but still...yuck.

I don't mean to sound like I'm picking a fight, I just wanted to express how one (Jewish) reader (me) reacted to the name...

As an outspoken woman, I figured you could take it.

4:44 am  
Blogger GS said...

myrna, I understand what you are saying. The name was picked without thinking the blog would grow. It is just difficult to make the changes now it is at this size.

8:49 am  
Blogger Suse said...

I'm in, and I blogged today appropriately, being the 21st.

I've just realised I didn't link to you so will go back and fix that asap.

On a side note, I'm sitting by my fire as I type this, eating my solstice cake and enjoying a cup of tea, while poking the fire with your ex fire tools (I was the one who picked them up a couple of years ago on freecycle). Blogworld and Realworld collide!

1:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy solstice - Nice to know I'm not the only one to celebrate down under :-) Pity I'm too busy to take this one on.

3:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in! All exhausted cos I thought the deadline was today, not tomorrow. Duh! Hope you don't reject mine as too interpretative.:)

5:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet