Wednesday, August 22, 2007

the workday lunch

I wrote the other week how one of my top 3 lunch spots has closed down. A satay can now be had only if I have the time for a very long walk. Now the sushi guy at my favourite sushi snack places seems to have disappeared, leaving 2 incompetents to fill his very able pair of shoes. It is time to find some new, central cbd joints for a tasty, vego or fish based lunch under $10.

I often fall for rice as bread for lunch makes me sleepy. But so many asian joints use msg routinely. Even Dondon which seems to be a favourite of Melbourne bloggers, has the magic powder in most of their meals. My lunch needs to get me through another 5 hours of work, so a scant salad sends me into a hypo drop at a time when I am in meetings and not able to top up on a snack.

I recently added Invita (Hardware lane) to the lunch rota. Time wise it’s a bit of a stretch but doable. I have no idea why I find their market side venue uninviting, but the city store is cosy and the food is bursting with organic goodness.

If you are in the Melbourne CBD, what do you make a dash for at lunchtime?

4 Comments:

Blogger h said...

Piadina Slowfood - 57 Lonsdale St (Rear )Melbourne 3000 VIC
absolutely awesome man.
if you haven't given it a shot already (and many many people certainly have discovered it) this might just be the place you're needing...

6:29 pm  
Blogger h said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:34 pm  
Blogger h said...

...sorry, just found that 'we do chew our food' has a review of PSF (piadina slowfood) in the july 2006 archive. if you need a second opinion - this is it.

6:36 pm  
Blogger Truffle said...

I like piadina but find the actual piadina's a little small and measly for the price. There is more substantial fare in the form of their pastas and bakes though and the place is lovely.

Beetroot on Hardware Lane is nice in winter when if you sit outside they give you a blanket. It's not amazing but there are comforting options.

SMXL has good salad options and decent soups but I don't consider it good value.

8:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet