Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Curry in a hurry

Gourmands avert your eyes. Despite the ridiculous amounts of Asian cookbooks I own and regularly drool over, I haven’t made a curry from scratch all year. Appalling I know.

'Mae Ploy' red curry paste is cheaper than chips (as low as $2.65 from downtown Oakleigh or an exorbitant $3.20 from the city) and a darn sight tastier. No preservatives, all natural ingredients and at only a tablespoon or two each time, it lasts for ages. A home with curry paste and coconut milk in the larder will never be hungry.

Simple curry for 2
1 tablespoon of curry paste cooked in a little oil, add 1 tin of coconut milk and amalgamate on a slow bubble. Add a few dashes of fish sauce and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice as desired.

Throw in the vegetables you have been meaning to use up. This week it was: onions, sweet potato, eggplant, zucchini and carrots. Often there are some Asian greens to toss in at the end of cooking. Simmer for at least 30 minutes til vegies are tender. Top up with vegetable stock if needed to keep the goodies covered in sauce.

I added cubes of tofu because being the perverse person I am, I like it. In more luxurious moments it may be prawns.

Serve on rice of your choice, but as it was tofu I went the whole holistic hog and opted for long grain brown.

Even better the next day.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Chai said...

The trouble with cooking Indian is that is needs like hundreds of different spices. But I like alot. I did a Indian vegetarian cooking course earlier this year... pretty simple stuff (and yummy). Can send you list of dishes we did (about 12ish) and if interested the recipe itself. (cant believe I am exchanging recipes! What am I becoming? [hands in face])

10:26 am  
Blogger GS said...

spam spam spam spam (as monty python would say)

...and Chai with a nick like that, would expect you to be into food :) Happily swap away til your hearts content!

6:35 pm  
Blogger Chai said...

Nick? U mean 'Chai'....errr... that *is* my name... OK... will go dig up the "stuff". Talk soon....

9:44 am  
Blogger Chai said...

Just got sent these... Thought I'd share..
http://theage.com.au/news/epicure/whip-it-up/2005/10/31/1130720467279.html

11:09 am  
Blogger Darcy said...

Oh yum, yum, yum! I've just been ploughing through your last few blogs and I am forcing myself to leave and come back later because

a.)I'm late for everything and

b.)if I keep drooling on my keyboard I will break my precious lap top.

Inspired. Hungry.

7:50 pm  
Blogger GS said...

drooling is the highest compliment for a food blog - long may keyboards flood with delight!

6:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts

Awarded by Kitchenetta

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe with Bloglines
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet